X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll be the Marine Corps' Guinea Pig

I'll be running a test on Friday.

I'll get a brief on it tomorrow but googling I found this out:

Aytes added that 800 Marines, 400 men and 400 women, will be tested on those tasks this summer. They include simulating loading tank and artillery rounds, a deadlift, a clean-and-press and a wall climb.

“Then we're going to correlate that data against those Marines' existing physical fitness test and combat fitness test, or PFT and CFT, events,” Aytes explained. “And using that information as collected, we're going to try to build a safe, a very simple screening test that we're going to use to contract our applicants coming into the Marine Corps.”
    Kind of cool that my physical scores may shape future standards.
    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; June 19, 2013, 21:33.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Maybe you'll get selected for the super soldier project.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Is this all people who are in some form of initial entry training or specialty training?

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
        Is this all people who are in some form of initial entry training or specialty training?
        No, I don't think so. I'll find out more info later.

Basically it is the Marine Corps trying to correlate the PFT and CFT with other combat tasks as part of the assessment of women in the infantry.

The Commandant, four-stars, and a bunch of Congressmen will be there
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Try not to get shown up by the FEMALES
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Marines getting their orders from Google.
            "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

When I took the LSAT there was a "dummy" section to calibrate the test for future administrations. This is essentially the ****** equivalent of that. Move along.

Comment

Pretty sure it was just names out of a hat.
                Last edited by Al B. Sure!; June 22, 2013, 10:03.

Comment

If women can not pass the current CFT, they shouldn't be in combat.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

The current physical tests, at least in the army, have hugely different standards for men and women. The various PT tests of each service are more measures of overall health (and bad ones at that) than of capability at your job.

Physical tests really ought to be MOS-specific. A transpo dude doesn't need to be able the run or ruck like someone in the infantry. Neither does an aviation mechanic.

Comment

Yeah, they do, no matter your MOS, you are still a foot soldier. All Naval personnel are fire fighters.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

To some extent, but we don't need cooks to ruck 15 miles and we don't need infantry to know how to operate a bulldozer. Basic infantry skills everyone should know extends to pulling rear area and convoy security and the basic mounted stuff people do regularly. The pogue types are busy enough keeping current and training with the equipment for their actual jobs (when they actually are doing their own jobs instead of something completely different, that's the army for you).

Platoon/squad level movement and tactics, some MOUT, some room clearing, react to mine/IED, react to IDF, that sort of **** everyone learns, and it doesn't take incredible physical prowess to do. You don't have to wreck your knees training unless you're light infantry.
                        Last edited by regexcellent; June 19, 2013, 23:20.

Comment

I thought guinea pig was your MOS.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

This is probably related to the push to lower physical fitness standards due to the increasingly obese American public.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                              To some extent, but we don't need cooks to ruck 15 miles and we don't need infantry to know how to operate a bulldozer. Basic infantry skills everyone should know extends to pulling rear area and convoy security and the basic mounted stuff people do regularly. The pogue types are busy enough keeping current and training with the equipment for their actual jobs (when they actually are doing their own jobs instead of something completely different, that's the army for you).

Platoon/squad level movement and tactics, some MOUT, some room clearing, react to mine/IED, react to IDF, that sort of **** everyone learns, and it doesn't take incredible physical prowess to do. You don't have to wreck your knees training unless you're light infantry.
                              Every Marine is a rifleman...some get to do other things as well.
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
                              X