Conservatives Know How to Reach Out to the Youth Vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conservatives Know How to Reach Out to the Youth Vote

Stephen Colbert must be honored that Papa Bear has become him!

Bill O’Reilly pans college GOP report
    By: Katie Glueck
    June 5, 2013 10:55 AM EDT

Fox News host Bill O’Reilly on Tuesday night got into a tussle with two spokeswomen for a college GOP report that outlines why Republicans lost the youth vote in November, asking why the party should “care about a bunch of kids who don’t know anything.”

“That sounds pretty immature, Ms. Smith,” O’Reilly told Alex Smith, the chair of the College Republican National Committee (CRNC), after asking why young people forgave President Barack Obama for the tough economy. “It doesn’t sound like a very objective analytical opinion, for want of a better word. So why should I care about this study, or why should the Republican Party care about a bunch of kids who don’t know anything, and they like the guy just because he’s flashy?…What message does that send to the GOP?”

“Well, to be quite frank, Bill, if the Republican Party really ignores younger voters, or continues to do so, we risk losing every national election in the future,” Smith retorted.

(PHOTOS: 2016: Who’s next?)

Her comments on Fox News’s “O’Reilly Factor” came a day after the CRNC released a highly critical assessment — first reported by POLITICO — of how the GOP stumbled with young voters, and outlined steps for improvement.

O’Reilly’s biting comment came after Kristen Soltis Anderson, the principal author of the 95-page report, said their research found that young people believed Obama was “trying” to improve the economy.

“I don’t know how you [win young voters] when economic issues on the Democratic side are dismal and younger voters don’t accept that as long as somebody is ‘trying,’” O’Reilly said.

When Smith said that the Republican Party must do a better job of reaching young voters — through the Internet, for example — O’Reilly rejoined, “so we have to have a Republican candidate who tweets?”

“You know what it comes down to, ladies?” O’Reilly concluded, interrupting Soltis Anderson, who was outlining why the GOP needs to better explain its problem-solving abilities in order to be competitive. “A charismatic candidate who can reach younger people and use words they understand. It comes down to personality. That’s what it comes down to.”

Keep up the good work.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

if the GOP keeps this up... well, i for one, look forward to our new liberterian overlords.
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

"You didn't agree with me, so it must be because Obama is flashy and web-savvy."
      "My logic is inherently impeccable, therefore we are losing to a cult of personality."

This could turn out to be every bit as amusing as the outreach to minorities.

Quick, get Bobby Jindal on the batphone!
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
        if the GOP keeps this up... well, i for one, look forward to our new liberterian overlords.
        nah

creepy single college guys with poor social skills is a pretty small demographic
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
          nah

creepy single college guys with poor social skills is a pretty small demographic
          Man, you nailed college libertarians.
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
            Man, you nailed college libertarians.
            I was a political science major. I met a lot of them.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Speaking of which, whatever happened to Ozzy wotsit?
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Bobby Jindal creeps me out. He looks like any one of a thousand men standing at a bus stop in Bangladesh. I keep wondering how he got on TV.

I like O'Reilly even though I know he's wrong. I guess I'm now his demographic.
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                  Bobby Jindal creeps me out. He looks like any one of a thousand men standing at a bus stop in Bangladesh. I keep wondering how he got on TV.

I like O'Reilly even though I know he's wrong. I guess I'm now his demographic.

Australia - as racist as ever.
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                    Speaking of which, whatever happened to Ozzy wotsit?
                    Arrested at a NAMBLA rally
                    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

So many thanks-worthy posts in this thread, and I already used mine.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                      X