No announcement yet.

the fourth amendment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fingerprints can change rapidly, especially for people who work with their hands. If you're a mason or a carpenter they'll be pretty damn difficult to identify you with.

Comment

Can you give me statistics on this, or at least examples of cases where a proper set of fingerprints was collected with modern techniques and then at some later point a similar set of prints was collected from the same individual and could not identify him to a reasonable degree of certainty?
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Per a number of references I just googled, it is relatively easy to temporarily wipe away the surface fingerprints through abrasion, but within days the same prints will reemerge. Only substantial widespread damage to deep tissue will permanently alter prints, and there are very few cases of this occurring.

My point 1 appears to stand. This is of substantially less non-investigatory use than fingerprinting (at the margin) and is substantially more intrusive. Definitely more alike with search of a person's homethan with fingerprinting
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Broadening the discussion, would you rather live in a society where a simple arrest empowers the State to seize all the personal information it can gain through blood analysis, and can thereby catch a few additional criminals, or in one where the State is limited in these search powers to those for whom it can demonstrate it has a specific suspicion of a criminal act which it requires this analysis to prove? My preference is for the latter, and further, I'm convinced that this is the plain meaning and the intent of the 4th amendment.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I agree totally, because you're absolutely correct.

Now I'm going to tell you something that may irritate you. I think that you want state government that's non-intrusive. You could very possibly make a good transplanted Texan. Sorry, dude.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Slowwy, my problem with Texas (insofar as I have one, and based on relatively mild actual differences in behavior) has to do with jingoism and chauvinism, not a dislike of big government by its people. Just like my problem with the northeast has to do with tolerance of a bloated, corrupt and invasive government.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If you could take the governance of Texas, mix it with the economic and cultural life of New York and put it in the Caribbean I"d move in a heartbeat...
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                  If you could take the governance of Texas, mix it with the economic and cultural life of New York and put it in the Caribbean I'd move in a heartbeat...

Comment

Unfortunately the governance is the most delicate part. Insiders would capture it and turn it into a more corrupt, more Leviathan New York within 50 years.

Still, it would be a hell of a place while it lasted.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If only Singapore had culture and wasn't located on such a sad island.

Comment

That sounds nothing at all like where you are now.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                          Broadening the discussion, would you rather live in a society where a simple arrest empowers the State to seize all the personal information it can gain through blood analysis, and can thereby catch a few additional criminals, or in one where the State is limited in these search powers to those for whom it can demonstrate it has a specific suspicion of a criminal act which it requires this analysis to prove? My preference is for the latter, and further, I'm convinced that this is the plain meaning and the intent of the 4th amendment.
                          Collecting DNA is not the same as conducting blood analysis on it, you pompous idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                            If only Singapore had culture and wasn't located on such a sad island.
                            Yeah, that or Hong Kong pre 97
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                              That sounds nothing at all like where you are now.
                              Yeah, where i am now has the culture of Texas, the climate of New York and the governance of Haiti.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I think I would like the climate of British Columbia, the governance of ??Sweden?? (still thinking about that one), and the culture of British Columbia.

JM
                                (I admit that this is based on my thoughts that BC > Washington > Oregon > Northern California, which could be wrong)
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X