You British bring civilisation wherever you go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You British bring civilisation wherever you go

The following story is on the back Dannubis' intolerance thread and the fact that UKIP did really well in the recent elections in the UK on the back of its essentially racist anti immigration platform, warning about an impending sudden influx of Bulgarians and Romanians. Funny how in the UK it's always the right wingers that are the most intolerant - no wonder people like Ben supports them!

Anyway, this article shows that if you invest in, and trade with, and cooperation with a nation, all their heathen unwashed masses needn't have to come over to your own country, taking your jobs and infesting your streets and houses with their inferior foreign practices, because they'll be happy staying at home...

British entrepreneurs invest in Bulgaria

The suggestion that Bulgarians and Romanians will soon arrive in the UK in their thousands may have fuelled UKIP's surge in the polls, provided column inches in the newspapers, and given news programmes something to chew on - but it has also concealed the fact that there is quite a bit of migration in the other direction.

On the glistening white slopes of Borovets in western Bulgaria, the ski season may be over but the pistes are not empty.

In the absence of tourists, some hardened Bulgarian ski instructors in red jackets are whizzing down at high speed.

Amid the cacophony of voices one distinctly British accent sticks out.

It belongs to Matt Pidgen, the founder of a snowboarding and ski company that has cornered the market here.

Thanks to him, and others like him, Borovets is awash with British skiers in the winter season.

Influx of entrepreneurs
    "Borovets has seen massive investment. New lifts, new hotels," he says.

"It was all very communist when I came here. You used to see policemen with machine-guns on corners... that has all changed now to come in line with Europe."

Cheap flights which connect Bulgaria to the UK have also helped this resort to grow. It has opened Bulgaria to new markets.

Mr Pidgen says he and his company, Snow and Wake Bulgaria, are now making a difference to the local economy.

"We're employing people. We're building a project at the moment. All the materials are sourced locally. Yes, the money is definitely going back in."

Some 7,000 Britons have now made Bulgaria their home.

It is not exactly as attractive as the top destinations for British expatriates - the United States, Australia and Canada. But the cheaper labour costs and property prices have magnetised Bulgaria's own influx of entrepreneurs.

James Flint, a property developer, came here in 2004.

By the time Bulgaria joined the EU in 2007 he had already established himself in the real estate market in the capital, Sofia.

Now he rents out smart apartments to elite clients.

"There is a great willingness among the population to build up their country," he says.

So is it a good time to come here and do business?

"I shouldn't be saying this, but frankly, yes!"

With all the reports in the British media recently about Bulgarians wanting to seek work and benefits in the UK, how did people respond to him?

"I was treated really well, actually. I don't think the Bulgarians are that interested [in the media reports] to be honest," says Mr Flint.

"I think those who are savvy, literate and speak English have picked up on stories in the media. I think basically there was a sense of mild irritation - but [people are] fairly dismissive."

'Very welcome'
    Across town, anyone missing British home comforts could do worse than call in at Andy Sowray's food shop.

Andy's Foods is like any old British corner shop, complete with English mustard, jars of jam, chutney and pickle, and packets of breakfast cereal.

"I had been in the region for about eight years," says the Englishman.

"I looked around and spoke to British people here and asked them what they missed. And they said two things - sausage and bacon."

I notice he has a string of union jack bunting on the shop front and a big union jack hanging on the wall behind the till. I ask him whether anyone has criticised him for being British.

"At times I have thought... I'd wake up one morning and find the windows broken, but actually I have not had one negative comment," says Mr Sowray.

"I think they are taking media reports with a pinch of salt. There's no aggression or bad feelings towards the British at all."

Britain is now Bulgaria's fourth biggest investor.

Other multinationals have come here to capitalise on the cheap labour and rental costs, setting up offices.

The IT sector is a growth area. The US firm Hewlett Packard is based here, and Coca-Cola has decided to base its European headquarters in Bulgaria.

In the open-air cafes on a warm summer's evening, Bulgarians are sipping their own cooling drinks and refreshing cocktails. I decide to ask them what they think of the most recent influx of foreign workers.

"You are very welcome," says one woman, an English teacher with a purple headband and bicycle.

"You British bring civilisation wherever you go. This is my impression at least," she adds.

Another man, who works for a Dutch IT firm, tells me the arrival of foreign firms is having a positive impact.

"Sure it is - you know when we have more employees working for good companies it means better salaries… it's a good thing if people have jobs," he tells me.

In many parts of this country you find educated Bulgarians who are pleased with the opportunities offered to them by foreign companies and often, but not exclusively, it is British entrepreneurs who have blazed the trail.
    Let's all learn to get along, instead of preaching hatred and division.

PS, no Texans allowed!
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

..would be nice

Comment

If Bulgaria is the great hope then we really are screwed. I was encouraged to invest there in 2006, mainly by Brits. I didn't of course.
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
          If Bulgaria is the great hope then we really are screwed. I was encouraged to invest there in 2006, mainly by Brits. I didn't of course.
          It isn't necessarily. Just the fact that all the scaremongering by UKIP that appeals to morons like Ben is way off the mark.
          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

UKIP is an interesting phenomenon, a kind of John Bull reaction against political correctness, like the tea party it almost revels in being idiotic.
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

We need someone to fill in for Screaming Lord Sutch.
              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

I think the real question/concern is; what will this do for the food culture in the UK, will the influx of whatever they eat impact the British love of cury?
                Monkey!!!

Comment

I assume it's Bulgar Wheat.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Japher View Post
                    I think the real question/concern is; what will this do for the food culture in the UK, will the influx of whatever they eat impact the British love of cury?
                    There is a pub quite close to me which has already been converted into a Bulgarian bar/restaurant, called The Black Sea. Has some great photos of dishes that look very interesting, but I can't help being reminded of a report I read years ago on how heavily polluted the Black Sea had become thanks to the un-ecofriendly industrial pollution from the Warsaw Pact countries.

Glow in the dark sturgeon anyone ?
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I think a Work Experience trainee may have written that article.

Some 7,000 Britons have now made Bulgaria their home.

Or, to put it another way, 0.01% of the population. We've no idea over the timescale, either. Is that 7000 since last Tuesday? Or since the dawn of time itself? It matters.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I for one, am not coming.
                        Quendelie axan!

Comment

UKIP can suck a dick. As for investing in Bulgaria it was probably great advice. House prices in Hungary have gone sky high over the last decade and Bulgaria/Rumania can't be that far behind.

Comment

I don't know. Look at how low Bulgaria's population density is compared to Hungary and how much worse its economy is. Where will the demand for housing come from?

Comment

Russians and Englishmen.
                              This is what has driven the demend up in the last 10 years.
                              We have quite a lot of cases where some people from England buy houses in a small village in Bulgaria and retire here while selling their UK property and live large on the difference. Such a house would go for something like 10 kEUR. (could be even less)

Russians buy a lot of property by the seaside for vacation.

Property prices here have been relatively flat after the big drop following 2008. Farmland values however have skyrocketed since. The main reason is that now we get way more farm subsidies from the EU now.
                              Quendelie axan!

Comment

Working...
                              X