Orange Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
    I've been trying to find a good source for seedlings to plant. Net says they used to have a kalamansi tree here at the house.
    Kalamansi are more like a lime as I'm sure you know. We have Kalamansi juice almost every day. Your best source of seedlings would be neighbours or nearby forest. Citrus trees will grow from cuttings too and they can be grafted!

Snoopy, I'll be surprised if an orange tree will grow in Chicago but keep us informed. They need lots of hot sun and sandy soil with good drainage, usually do best near the coast where there is a lot of sun and rain.

Lemon trees are very similar in their needs, being another citrus - lemon tree, very pretty, and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Supposedly Calamondin/Kalamansi grow very well in containers, so we'll see. The sun is pretty hot here in the summer, and in the winter I can either growlight them or let them go dormant (depending on how cold it gets in my porch; hopefully not < 55*F/13*C but we'll see). I'm very curious to see what limeade tastes like made from them as I've never had one or seen one before.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I love blueberries, any berry really, but I never knew they had strains that grew on trees until now.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

DONT EAT ALL THE BLUEBERRIES TEX
          WHAT? YOU THINK THEY GROW ON TREES

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Pretty much my thought is that yes, they grow on trees. I can graze on them to my heart's content.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

criminal
              relying on nature's teet
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

What is your suggested alternative?

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                  Supposedly Calamondin/Kalamansi grow very well in containers, so we'll see. The sun is pretty hot here in the summer, and in the winter I can either growlight them or let them go dormant (depending on how cold it gets in my porch; hopefully not < 55*F/13*C but we'll see). I'm very curious to see what limeade tastes like made from them as I've never had one or seen one before.
                  I'd put the shrub up against a window that gets full sun, especially in winter. The tree would like that more than artificial light. There are lots of GM and cold tolerant varieties so maybe you have got one of those. Growing an orange in Chicago would be pretty neat
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

The window it'll be up against will be a east-facing window that gets pretty good sun, even in the winter probably 3 hours direct sun plus indirect the rest of the day. I'll keep it outside when it's not freezing. From what I read this variety is very tolerant of whatever (lots of people move it to a basement with a small window and do fine) so I'm optimistic

Comment

I am also thinking to plant the orange tree indoor, initially i just thought of planting outdoor but this time i m going to start with an orange tree. i am really keen interested for this.Lets see if its gonna be better.

Comment

blueberry trees?

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                          blueberry trees?
                          Yes?

Comment

On the train headed in, I get a text from my wife. "How about a dwarf honeycrisp tree?" Now, I'm all for fruit trees (see above!), but we have a 20x48 foot (so 6 by 15 meter) yard...

Sigh...

Comment

Working...
                            X