Quitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quitting

I'm probably quiting my job tomorrow. I am negotiating a better opportunity closer to home today.

I really like the work and the people I work with. Management sucks.

I've always told myself never to leave because of politics, but people do generally leave managers and not the job... I feel I am doing that, and I kind of feel that I am abandoning my coworkers. When I started at this company it was less than 30 people, it is now about 130, and I hired most of them. Bitter sweet.

Anyway, I will try not to burn any bridges, though I am not very good at holding my tongue.
    Monkey!!!

Good luck, and don't worry about dumping your colleagues. That's just institutional emotional blackmail.
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Sure is...
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher View Post
        Anyway, I will try not to burn any bridges, though I am not very good at holding my tongue.
        Definitely this. It's amazing how many of those people you might run into, often in totally unexpectedy ways/times/places, as your career/life moves forward. It's now over 8 years since my longtime corporate gig got yanked out from under me, and I make a fair percentage of my annual income (10-15% directly, maybe 25-30% indirectly) from people who pissed me off and/or screwed me over.

It's tough to hold your tongue, but worth it in the long run.

Good luck with the change!
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I recently negotiated an improvement in work conditions by finding another job and then telling my boss "this other place made me a job offer for back end work, I'd really like to stay on here but I'd want to quit with front end work and return doing back end work," and voila, no more front end work. It might be worth a shot for you to do the same thing, but if your management sucks and the commute is less than ideal then it might not be worth it.
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'm not looking to use the offer to extort anything better out of the company I am at. If our executive team knew what they were doing then probably. However, I am looking because I don't think they do.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Make sure you know you have the new job before you quit your old one.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Got the job offer, signed, and waiting for boss to come in to give my resignation to.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

When my wife quit her last job, her boss decided not to show up that day. My wife ended up calling HR and handing in her resignation to the HR flunky they sent over.
                    Last edited by pchang; May 13, 2013, 16:38.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I gave 2 weeks notice, so it wasn't a quite on the spot. Track record with this company, however, is that they get really offended that people wouldn't want to quite that they let them go with days of giving their 2 weeks. I would hope they would let me stick out the 2 weeks as I have quite a bit to hand over. Still, they might get all mad and ask me to leave. I've started to pack my car incase they do.
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Good luck Japher
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Try to leave job if you have got a good one...else compromise and work over there till you can.

Comment

Tomorrow is my last day. Exit interview at 9:30am, drinks a 2pm.

I got a call from one my long time vendors complaining that my company is over 70 days on an invoice that was Net 30. I told him that I've been getting fed the same lines he was.
                            I guess my departure is timely.
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Congrats, man. Hope the new gig is a big improvement.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                              X