Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Republican efforts to destroy science continue apace..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In any event, that's actually the benefit (as well as the detriment) of a bureaucracy. Having a combination of institutional memory and conservatism (not Conservatism, but change-avoidance) is good in the implementation of policy, because the populace needs some buffer from the political winds there.

For example, imagine that we changed presidents every 4 years, and each President was the other party (never an incumbent winner). Let's say the Republicans wanted the embassy in Tel Aviv, and the Democrats in Jerusalem. It's a terrible idea to switch it from place to place every 4 years; so the bureaucracy's conservatism is a good thing there. If both parties really want to move it, they eventually will (unless there are other concerns - I know nothing about the specific example here; perhaps the State department has valid reasons for opposing it, perhaps not).

It's certainly a two way street, sometimes the conservatism is annoying; but it's not all bad.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• What I find amazing is that all the small-government-keep-your-hands-off-my-healthcare crowd seemingly fails to see the irony of their support for additional federal oversight. Personally, I think they (whoever is behind this proposal) are much smarter than that, which is why "Koch brothers and other friends don't like the lack of support from science, we must put a stop to that" feels like the most likely explanation to me.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• There's no irony. If there's no oversight, there is much greater potential for inefficiency and waste. A lot of government bloat comes from that.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• This would add inefficiency and waste because you are putting those who have very different desires (political/bacon/etc) over the process instead of those who desire good research.

It would probably be better to have a committee made up of a combination of citizen action groups and corporate groups, there at least you would understand the biases.

The best would be scientists themselves who understand science and how to further science.

These scientists can create rules influenced by what industry, the president, and congress desire.

Wait, that is what we have now.

We already do a lot of stuff oriented towards fulfilling desires of congress/etc. My pure scientific discovery colleagues think that there is a huge waste of time and money that goes to this.

Jon
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• This would add inefficiency and waste because you are putting those who have very different desires (political/bacon/etc) over the process instead of those who desire good research.

It would probably be better to have a committee made up of a combination of citizen action groups and corporate groups, there at least you would understand the biases.

The best would be scientists themselves who understand science and how to further science.

These scientists can create rules influenced by what industry, the president, and congress desire.

Wait, that is what we have now.

We already do a lot of stuff oriented towards fulfilling desires of congress/etc. My pure scientific discovery colleagues think that there is a huge waste of time and money that goes to this.

Jon
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post

Will you ***** please do me a favor and kill yourselves?

maybe you should actually click on the link they reference

DUMB****

and to DD for the non-ironic thanks to that post

thank yourself for being tarded, dip****
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post

maybe you should actually click on the link they reference

DUMB****

and to DD for the non-ironic thanks to that post

thank yourself for being tarded, dip****
                The Webster's dictionary link?
                1 a : a body of nonelective government officials
                b : an administrative policy-making group
                Oops! The first, that is primary, definition of the word explicitly specifies that the bureaucracy consists of nonelective officials. In other words, members of Congress are not part of the federal bureaucracy. So why did you ***** object to how regexcellent used the term?

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                  Why would the President make a pre-election or election promise to move the Israeli embassy? Doesn't exactly seem very important on the scale of things a president should be worried about...
                  Why don't you ask them? I was just using it as an example for the purpose of illustration. Congress and the President (several presidents) have tried to get the embassy moved loads of times but the DoS keeps holding it up for whatever reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                    The Webster's dictionary link?
                    Yes. The one that only specifies nonelective government officials IN ONE PART OF ONE DEFINITION
                    Oops! The first, that is primary, definition of the word explicitly specifies that the bureaucracy consists of nonelective officials. In other words, members of Congress are not part of the federal bureaucracy. So why did you ***** object to how regexcellent used the term?
                    I was responding to DD, not reg.

You and DD seem to have serious reading comprehension issues. It's mind boggling how dumb people can be.

Anyways, good luck with that whole stupid thing. It seems to be working well for you. Moron.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• This thread needs more beer. Or some other means to lighten up.
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                        Ken, I think reg is generally right here. Government officials != Bureaucrat. Bureaucracy is the group of people involved in implementing the government's policies; congress itself is not a part of that group (they are a part of the legislature, or law-making branch of government).
                        Let's see, does congress consist of a few hundred elected people who travel to Washington and carry out all functions of congress? Or does congress basically consist of thousands of aides, staff and employees who have never been voted into anything in their lives working to write the bills and do the action work that the congressmen and women then rubber stamp or symbolically oppose long after the real work has actually been done? You know, the bureaucracy that makes things actually happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                          Let's see, does congress consist of a few hundred elected people who travel to Washington and carry out all functions of congress? Or does congress basically consist of thousands of aides, staff and employees who have never been voted into anything in their lives working to write the bills and do the action work that the congressmen and women then rubber stamp or symbolically oppose long after the real work has actually been done? You know, the bureaucracy that makes things actually happen.
                          Even if it did and congressmen were only "rubber stamping" bills, that wouldn't be the federal bureaucracy. Maybe you should learn how the US government actually works before commenting on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
                            Yes. The one that only specifies nonelective government officials IN ONE PART OF ONE DEFINITION
                            I was responding to DD, not reg.

You and DD seem to have serious reading comprehension issues. It's mind boggling how dumb people can be.

Anyways, good luck with that whole stupid thing. It seems to be working well for you. Moron.
                            As opposed to the other definitions which referred to bureaucracy as an abstract concept. The first one is a description of an actual concrete thing and actually appropriate for determining who is or isn't a bureaucrat.. Moron.

Comment

• As far as the inefficiency of the government bureaucracy (the part that is blamed on the federal government), a significant portion of it is due to the congressional part.

Maybe even the majority.

A lot of the rules that hamper the bureaucrats that I know, and keep them inefficient, are put in place by congress.

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• As far as the inefficiency of the government bureaucracy (the part that is blamed on the federal government), a significant portion of it is due to the congressional part.

Maybe even the majority.

A lot of the rules that hamper the bureaucrats that I know, and keep them inefficient, are put in place by congress.

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X