World Book Night Tuesday 23 April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Book Night Tuesday 23 April

Sorry it's late, meant to post it yesterday so those with offspring could book places or take part...

It's the annual celebration of reading & books :

Each year we recruit 20,000 volunteers to hand out 20 copies of their favourite book from our list to members of their community who don’t regularly read. By enlisting thousands of passionate book lovers around the country World Book Night reaches out to the millions of people in the UK who have yet to fall in love with reading in the hope that we can start them on their reading journey. In addition World Book Night distributes 100,000 books through our institutional partners to the hardest to reach potential readers in prisons, care homes, hospitals, sheltered, supported and social housing, the homeless and through partner charities working throughout the UK.

◦20 books are chosen by an independent editorial committee (comprising of passionate experts representing librarians, booksellers, writers and the media) informed by a public vote. The authors of the books waive their royalties, the publishers agree to pay the costs of producing the World Book Night editions and contribute to additional core funding

◦Bookshops and libraries sign up to be collection points

◦Members of the public sign up to be givers, applying to give away a particular title with information on where, to whom and why they want to give their books. Applications are vetted by World Book Night and the original publisher and suitable givers are chosen based on their ability to reach those who don’t regularly read

◦The successful givers choose a local participating bookshop or library from which to collect their set of books and WBN’s partner distributors deliver the books to these collection points

◦Givers collect their books in the week before World Book Night and inscribe the first page with their name, the name of the bookshop or library they collected them from and a unique identifying number which enables each book to be tracked
    ◦The books are given to those who don’t regularly read within their communities.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Burn them all, I say!
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Book Night
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
        Burn them all, I say!
        Thanks mobius- thinking of you & your post reminded me of how King John undermined the walls of Rochester Castle with burning pigs.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

The Night of The 20 Books is much preferable to the Night of The Long Knives
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Hmmm... if only one of us had a particular connection to books...
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I don't know 20 people who would be interested in Henry Kissinger's Diplomacy.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                I don't know 20 people who would be interested in Henry Kissinger's Diplomacy.
                I would.

However, I don't like getting involved with group activities unless I can be the winner.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                X