Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricin intercepted at the U.S. Capitol'

BREAKING NEWS:

Sources: Envelope that tested positive for deadly poison ricin intercepted at the U.S. Capitol's off-site mail facility.
    An envelope containing ricin was sent to the Capitol Hill office of Sen. Roger Wicker, lawmakers told Fox News on Tuesday.

Milt Leitenberg, a University of Maryland bioterrorism expert, said ricin is a poison derived from the same bean that makes castor oil. According to a Homeland Security Department handbook, ricin is deadliest when inhaled. It is not contagious, but there is no antidote.

The letter to the Mississippi Republican was intercepted at an off-site mail screening facility and never reached the Hill.

"It is of concern," Sen. Angus King, I-Maine, said after learning about the incident in a briefing with other senators late Tuesday.

Fox News confirmed the envelope tested positive for ricin.

The envelope had a Tennessee postmark and no return address.

The letter inside included an implied threat to effect of: "You haven’t listen to me before. Now you will, even if people have to die," Politico also reported.

Sources say officials are familiar with the person believed to have sent the letter as the person has sent other letters before.

FBI Director Robert Mueller and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano were on Capitol Hill on Tuesday for a scheduled talk about cyber security. But that briefing morphed into talks about Boston, after the bombings Monday.

Senate Sergeant at Arms Terry Gainer conducted a separate briefing for senators specifically on ricin.

It's unclear whether the letter had any connection to the Boston attack.

The mail-screening system was established after the Anthrax attacks of 2001 that closed the Hart Senate Office Building.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2Qg1OZgqv
    WTF? sound like that anthrax scare after 9/11 all over again.
    Last edited by Docfeelgood; April 16, 2013, 20:50.

probably just rice
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Does sending that crap in the mail even work? You hear about it every once in a while but nobody ever dies or anything.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I wonder why Wicker was targeted.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
          Does sending that crap in the mail even work? You hear about it every once in a while but nobody ever dies or anything.
          Seems the innocent become the victim rather than the target. I remember something about a small child was infected with anthrax after 9/11 through one of those letters.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
            Well, in the US, most domestic terrorists are stupid and don't even survive their own attempts to make their weapons. I blame our poor education system.

However, using the mail still creates fear in the populace and intended target, who is likely difficult to reach, while maintaining a decent level of discretion.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
              I wonder why Wicker was targeted.
              maybe someone sat in one of his chairs
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Well, in the US, most domestic terrorists are stupid and don't even survive their own attempts to make their weapons. I blame our poor education system.

However, using the mail still creates fear in the populace and intended target, who is likely difficult to reach, while maintaining a decent level of discretion.
                Who is afraid of the mail?
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I mean that it still manages to get the attack publicized. However, yes, there are some people who do become afraid of mail after this. If only they knew how much cocaine was on their money.
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

If only they knew how much cocaine was on their money.
                    I suspect the actual amount by volume and weight is low. It's those automated sorting machines. It kicks up particles and spreads it around.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

There's also this:

"Capitalism ho!"

Comment

fortunately, copper has an antimicrobial effect... modern pennies still use copper coating, despite being mostly zinc
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I believe I posted about this in the bombing thread. Yes, yes, I did.

I asked if anyone knew anything about Sen Wicker (R-MS) because the only thing I know about him is he was one of the first Republicans in the senate to cross the aisle and call for comprehensive immigration reform. He was attacked from the right for it too claiming he was supporting "amnesty".
                          Last edited by Dinner; April 17, 2013, 00:21.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

ass pennies?

oerdin you sick ****
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Just yesterday, on tax day, some anti-government raving loon in Orange County, CA accidentally blew himself up while trying to make home made pipe bombs. Three additional pipe bombs were found in the home which the local bomb squad blew up in place thus destroying the dead man's house. The man was described by neighbors as an "eccentric" who liked to post strange rambling anti-government manifestos all around the neighborhood. It was a white guy in his early 50's.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=9065060

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/04/15/2...neighbors.html
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X