What car should I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What car should I buy?

Some schmuck ran a red light and smashed up my car (2002 Camry), and there's a fair chance that his insurance company is going to total it.

I'm thinking of a $25,000 AWD 4cyl 13,000 mi certified preowned 2012 Subaru Outback, but does anybody have advice for why I should get another make/model? I'm not very good at buying cars.

I'd like an AWD or 4WD (my parents live nearby on a dirt road that's impassable in winter without AWD/4WD), I'll be getting around $6K to $7K if my car gets totaled, and I've got $30K in a bond fund that I've been saving up for my car's eventual replacement.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

One with an engine, four wheels, and a steering wheel. That's a good start.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Why are you racist against tricycles?

Comment

The Subaru Outback is a great car. I was very tempted.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I have a 2010 Subaru Forester. Nice car, the engine is the worst part though, so if you care a lot about a really zippy engine, don't do it. But otherwise it's pretty nice.

For $25k you can almost get a new Outback - unless it's got a lot of extras (leather seats and whatnot), that price seems too high to me. That's over the Forester price for what I got (and I think the price is still around the same). The 2014 Forester is really nice, by the way (I went to the Chicago Auto Show this year and got to play around in one) - it might be as good or better than a 2012 Outback. It's got a lot of new stuff internally plus a much better engine (apparently, I did not get to test drive it). 32/24 MPG though which is way better the old 27/21 Forester and even better than the 30/24 Outback. The Forester and the Outback are nearly the same body nowadays, so it wouldn't be that much of a change.

For reference, a brand new 2013 Outback is $24k base, and even going up to the options I'd want only $30k (and the $25k option isn't really that bad). $25k is way too much for a used model, even with 500 miles on it, not to mention a whole year's miles (13k). 13k is also a lot of miles on a car that shouldn't be more than about a year old. If you're not using financing it doesn't make as much of a differerence, but it means you get one less year's use out of the car and are one year closer to things breaking down (for example, the brakes need to be replaced every 30k miles or so - you're halfway there already).
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I think there is only one kind of car that matches loinburgers personality:

Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
              Some schmuck ran a red light and smashed up my car (2002 Camry), and there's a fair chance that his insurance company is going to total it.

I'm thinking of a $25,000 AWD 4cyl 13,000 mi certified preowned 2012 Subaru Outback, but does anybody have advice for why I should get another make/model? I'm not very good at buying cars.

I'd like an AWD or 4WD (my parents live nearby on a dirt road that's impassable in winter without AWD/4WD), I'll be getting around $6K to $7K if my car gets totaled, and I've got $30K in a bond fund that I've been saving up for my car's eventual replacement.
              You can refuse, you don't need those doors anyway.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                I think there is only one kind of car that matches loinburgers personality:

It needs some dickgirls airbrushed on the door

Comment

On a serious note, you've been through an Idaho winter, can you do without 4x4?

Comment

My parents' Outback is actually better able to handle the snow than their Tahoe - they needed chains on the Tahoe for their ridiculously steep driveway, but their Outback was able to handle it without issue. They have a 6-cylinder engine while I was looking at a 4-cylinder engine (they tow a camper, I don't), but I don't think that will have an impact on my traction etc.

Comment

I'm a bit confused by that question. All Subaru vehicles are AWD. They're the state vehicle of Vermont, after all, for a reason...

I do love driving in the winter on highways and passing stranded cars left and right who can't handle 2-3" of snow and laughing at them.
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

After last winter I was tempted to trade in my car for an Outback, except that I'm morally opposed to not driving a vehicle into the ground. Fortunately, I've now driven this vehicle into the ground.

Comment

That sounds like sexual advice to me

"Apparently I'm no good at finger-banging Asian chicks"

Comment

It depends if you really need/want the room which comes with a wagon or not. My ex had an Outback and they're great cars though the interior sometimes seemed a bit cheap but honestly it is a very solid choice without any major draw backs. Also look at a regular Subaru Legacy as you can get a brand new one well equiped for ~$25k. Without looking at SUVs here is a list of some of the major sedans on the market right now which have an AWD option: Ford Taurus SEL, Suzuki Kazashi S (Suzuki's new mid sized car offering which you can buy for ~$20k after incentives), Ford Fusion SEL, Subaru Impreza (The Legacy's smaller brother), Toyota Venza (it's a wagon like the Outback), Audi A4 (You can find them on sale for ~$30k new and much less used), BMW 328i (but the price is closer to $40 than $30 however a used one can be fairly affordable).

Oh, and, of course, you could always buy a new Outback for ~$24k though I still think the Legacy is nicer and better unless you need the space.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I share a 1994 Toyota 4Runner with my father -- he uses it for hunting, I use it when it snows -- and it is the most reliable, most sure-footed (wheeled?) vehicle either of us has ever driven.

Comment

Working...
                              X