Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I, For one, welcome our new extra-terrestrial overlords!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sat down at my footlocker and read The Protocols of the Elders of Tralfamadore in Black Garterbelt. It was about intelligent threads of energy trillions of light-years long. They wanted mortal, self-reproducing life forms to spread out through the Universe. So several of them, the Elders in the title, held a meeting by intersecting near a planet called Tralfamadore. The author never said why the Elders thought the spread of life was such a hot idea. I don’t blame him. I can’t think of any strong arguments in favor of it. To me, wanting every habitable planet to be inhabited is like wanting everybody to have athlete’s foot.

The Elders agreed at the meeting that the only practical way for life to travel great distances through space was in the form of extremely small and durable plants and animals hitching rides on meteors that richocheted off their planets.

But no germs tough enough to survive a trip like that had yet evolved anywhere. Life was too easy for them. They were a bunch of cream puffs. Any creature they infected, chemically speaking, was as challenging as so much chicken soup.

There were people on Earth at the time of the meeting, but they were just more hot slop for the germs to swim in. But they had extra large brains, and some of them could talk. A few could even read and write! So the Elders focused in on them, and wondered if people’s brains might not invent survival tests for germs which were truly horrible.

They saw in us a potential for chemical evils on a cosmic scale. Nor did we disappoint them.

What a story!

It so happened, according to this story, that the legend of Adam and Eve was being written down for the first time. A woman was doing it. Until then, that charming bunkum had been passed from generation to generation by word of mouth.

The Elders let her write down most of the origin myth just the way she had heard it, the way everybody told it, until she got very close to the end. Then they took control of her brain and had her write down something which had never been part of the myth before.

It was a speech by God to Adam and Eve, supposedly. This was it, and life would become pure hell for microorganisms soon afterward: “Fill the Earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves on the Earth.”

So the people of the Earth thought they had instructions from the Creator of the Universe Himself to wreck the joint. But they were going at it too slowly to satisfy the Elders, so the Elders put it into the people’s heads that they themselves were the life forms that were supposed to spread out through the Universe. This was a preposterous idea, of course. In the words of the nameless author, “How could all that meat, needing so much food and water and oxygen, and with bowel movements so enormous, expect to survive a trip of any distance whatsoever through the limitless void of outer space? It was a miracle that such ravenous and cumbersome giants could make a roundtrip for a 6-pack to the nearest grocery store.”

The Elders, incidentally, had given up on influencing the humanoids on Tralfamadore, who were right below where they were meeting. The Tralfamadorians had senses of humor and so knew themselves for the severely limited lunkers, not to say crazy lunkers, they really were. They were immune to the kilovolts of pride the Elders jazzed their brains with. They laughed right away when the idea popped up in their heads that they were the glory of the Universe, and that they were supposed to colonize other planets with their incomparable magnificence. They knew exactly how clumsy and dumb they were, even though they could talk and some of them could read and write and do math. One author wrote a series of side-splitting satires about Tralfamadorians arriving on other planets with the intention of spreading enlightenment.

But the people here on Earth, being humorless, found the same idea quite acceptable.

It appeared to the Elders that the people here would believe anything about themselves, no matter how preposterous, as long as it was flattering. To make sure of this, they performed an experiment. They put the idea into Earthlings’ heads that the whole Universe had been created by one big male animal who looked just like them. He sat on a throne with a lot less fancy thrones all around him. When people died they got to sit on those other thrones forever because they were such close relatives of the Creator.

The people down here just ate that up!

Another thing the Elders liked about Earthlings was that they feared and hated other Earthlings who did not look and talk exactly as they did. They made life a hell for each other as well as for what they called “lower animals”. They actually thought of strangers as lower animals. So all the Elders had to do to ensure that germs were going to experience really hard times was to tell us how to make more effective weapons by studying Physics and Chemistry. The Elders lost no time in doing this.

They caused an apple to fall on the head of Isaac Newton. They made young James Watt ***** up his ears when his mother’s tea kettle sang.

The Elders made us think that the Creator on the big throne hated strangers as much as we did, and that we would be doing Him a big favor if we tried to exterminate them by any and all means possible.

That went over big down here.

So it wasn’t long before we made the deadliest poisons in the Universe, and were stinking up the air and water and topsoil. In the words of the author, and I wish I knew his name, “Germs died by the trillions or failed to reproduce because they could no longer cut the mustard.”

But a few survived and even flourished, even though almost all other life forms on Earth perished. And when all other life forms vanished, and this planet became as sterile as the Moon, they hibernated as virtually indestructible spores, capable of waiting as long as necessary for the next lucky hit by a meteor. Thus, at last, did space travel become truly feasible.

If you stop to think about it, what the Elders did was based on a sort of trickle-down theory. Usually when people talk about the trickle-down theory, it has to do with economics. The richer people at the top of a society become, supposedly, there more wealth there is to trickle down to the people below. It never really works out that way, of course, because if there are 2 things people at the top can’t stand, they have to be leakage and overflow.

But the Elders’ scheme of having the misery of higher animals trickle down to microorganisms worked like a dream.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
      Besides that, given what we know about water bears here on Earth, why does life have to have a suitable planet similar to Earth, in order to evolve and survive?
      Water bears can survive under a lot of conditions, but most of that survival consists of going into near or total statis then reanimating when environmental conditions become favorable. So the fact that they can survive under certain conditions doesn't mean they would have evolved under those conditions.

The other part to your question is that water bears, though cool, are dirt primitive creatures who really don't show much potential for advancement in complexity. They have a low number of total cells, and a lot of the traits which give them great durability are inconsistent with the cell biology needed for significant evolution. The end result of water bear evolution seems to be lots of distinct species of water bears that are pretty much alike, just with enough minor, repeated variation to constitute a different species. Another billion years of water bears would probably give us not much more than some more variations in water bear morphology.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat View Post
        Water bears can survive under a lot of conditions, but most of that survival consists of going into near or total statis then reanimating when environmental conditions become favorable. So the fact that they can survive under certain conditions doesn't mean they would have evolved under those conditions.

The other part to your question is that water bears, though cool, are dirt primitive creatures who really don't show much potential for advancement in complexity. They have a low number of total cells, and a lot of the traits which give them great durability are inconsistent with the cell biology needed for significant evolution. The end result of water bear evolution seems to be lots of distinct species of water bears that are pretty much alike, just with enough minor, repeated variation to constitute a different species. Another billion years of water bears would probably give us not much more than some more variations in water bear morphology.
        I wasn't necessarily asking about the possibility that water bears could evolve into something more advanced. But on Mars, they would be the most advanced without having to evolve further.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Except they couldn't evolve on mars, at least under present conditions. When liquid water was flowing, probably, depending on the atmosphere at the time.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            Wait, how'd we observe microscopic chemical compounds in interstellar space? Has one of those probes from the seventies made it that far?

I'd heard of the speculation re: mitochondria, but don't see why either organism has to be extraterrestrial in origin. Still, if primitive life could exist on Titan or somewhere, I guess that makes things more plausible. Gracias.
            IIRC, we observe it through telescopes and how energy is given off (cf. http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog...ar-system.html).
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Those are cool discoveries. More complex stuff is sure to be out there, but the more complex a molecule, the harder it is to detect by spectral methods and the more ambiguous. Glycine and various aminonitriles had been discovered before, all by spectral analysis of light passing through the clouds, but they're simpler molecules.

This is a whole different technique, so it should ultimately take us considerably farther than the spectral analysis limits.

Comment

space bacteria jizz

that's all it is
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

bacteria don't have jizz

Comment

sorry I opened this
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

If actual life survived the collision, instead of fossils, this would be evidence.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat View Post
                        bacteria don't have jizz
                        I'm not surprised. It's way too cold in space for that.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It couldn't, though, due to reentry heat and oxidation of life tissues. The only exception is icy cometary debris, but the breaks up in the upper atmosphere and the non-water material spreads out as dust and slowly settles to the surface as it settles to the lower atmosphere and is then precipitated out.

I forget the number, but we get a surprising amount of infalling cometary material (with a low concentration of organic molecules) on an annual basis.

Comment

Working...
                          X