X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Carlin isn't funny.

Thought provoking, yes. Funny, no.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Who do you consider funny?

Comment

Actually thought he was funny when I saw him in person years ago. Recorded stuff doesn't seem to have the same effect, which makes me think you are probably correct.
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Bill Burr, Tommy Johnagin, Mike Birbiglia, Hannibal Burress, Dan Cummins, Mitch Hedberg, Jim Gaffigan, Deon Cole, John Caparulo, Daniel Tosh.

ACK!

Comment

I read one of his books and thought it was amusing.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
            Actually thought he was funny when I saw him in person years ago. Recorded stuff doesn't seem to have the same effect, which makes me think you are probably correct.
            I actually really liked The George Carlin Show.

ACK!

Comment

I thought his older stuff was funny, but his later stuff was too angry
              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
                Thought provoking, yes. Funny, no.

ACK!
                Hmmm.

I'm gonna go ahead and say you are out of your ****ing mind.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                  I thought his older stuff was funny, but his later stuff was too angry
                  Yeah....maybe that's it. I saw him in 1978 at the Tennessee Theatre in Nashville....so very long ago.
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

He started as a straight-up comedian, doing characters. Gravitated toward more cutting, observational humor based on linguistic wordplay and ironic juxtaposition, which was his sweet spot (the "7 dirty words" era). As time went on, he became progressively more biting and political. His career peaked in the mid 70s, when he suddenly stopped performing due to a series of heart attacks.

His career revived in the 80s and 90s, but was a blend of oddball acting roles (Mr. Conductor in Shining Time Station, Rufus in Bill & Ted, etc.) and a return to humor. By this point, Carlin's stand-up and his writing (see the book Brain Droppings) was much more bitter and (duh, liberal) agenda-driven, something he knew and acknowledged.

So yeah, the earlier the material you find, the better. Carlin was a brilliant, talented, and very funny man.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                      Hmmm.

I'm gonna go ahead and say you are out of your ****ing mind.
                      Not when they use a whole weekend of my favorite XM comedy channel to play his stuff incessantly.

But, at least he isn't Dane Cook.

Also, I made this thread specifically to spin you up.

ACK!

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                        He started as a straight-up comedian, doing characters. Gravitated toward more cutting, observational humor based on linguistic wordplay and ironic juxtaposition, which was his sweet spot (the "7 dirty words" era). As time went on, he became progressively more biting and political. His career peaked in the mid 70s, when he suddenly stopped performing due to a series of heart attacks.

His career revived in the 80s and 90s, but was a blend of oddball acting roles (Mr. Conductor in Shining Time Station, Rufus in Bill & Ted, etc.) and a return to humor. By this point, Carlin's stand-up and his writing (see the book Brain Droppings) was much more bitter and (duh, liberal) agenda-driven, something he knew and acknowledged.

So yeah, the earlier the material you find, the better. Carlin was a brilliant, talented, and very funny man.
                        So when a comedian starts practicing their freedom of speech to express their opinions on social or political issues, that's when they automatically become terrible comedians.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post

Yeah, I remember my dad showing me some of his stuff and thinking it was a riot. Last year I went and watched some of it and kinda wondered why I ever thought he was funny. Now that I've read this, I realize I was just watching his later liberal rants--which, while still often funny, aren't nearly as funny as his earlier stuff.
                          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                            So when a comedian starts practicing their freedom of speech to express their opinions on social or political issues, that's when they automatically become terrible comedians.
                            So you are a big fan of Dennis Miller these days?
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                              It is incredibly stupid (and very typical of you) to bring up freedom of speech in this context. Nobody is saying that Carlin wasn't free to express his opinions, they're just saying that those opinions weren't funny.
                              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                              X