Ruby on Rails [nerd thread]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruby on Rails [nerd thread]

So, for a class this semester I have to use Ruby. Specifically, Ruby on Rails. I have two major questions: Who the **** designed this piece of ****, and why the **** does anyone like it?

Here's why it sucks, in a nutshell:
    (There are more reasons but really these are sufficient.)

1. Mutable strings. WTF?
    2. Capitalization has semantics--capitalizing the first letter of a variable tells Ruby that you mean a class.
    3. "until" and "unless" and other ridiculous syntactic sugar, because it's so much better to have a million keywords than simply understand the simple boolean operator of "not".
    4. Control flow operators are actually expressions. What? You mean I can attach them to the end of any statement? Oh boy, that couldn't be confusing in the slightest. No chance for abuse there, nope.
    5. Bare words: %w(stuff). No. Just no. Use quotes.
    6. Implicit function calls without (). So, in ruby, functions (actually methods here) are values, like many functional languages. So you can pass methods around, but be careful! Ruby tries to figure out when you're trying to pass a method and when you're trying to pass the return result of a method, but since it has implicit calls without (), you can never quite be sure. Yay.

Now for the real kicker: PLURALIZATION HAS SEMANTICS. Yes, pluralizing a variable name has semantic meaning in Ruby on Rails. It has this excessively complicated "inflection" system for trying to figure out the correct plural form of the name of whatever class you create. If I have class Dog, then the associated table is called Dogs. But what if I have a table called Goose? Is it Geese? Gooses? Turns out rails knows the plural of Goose so it is in fact Geese. But what about fish? Octopus? Is that Octopuses or Octopi? Who knows! Better try it and find out!

Check this out:
    How does ActiveRecord infer mapping from singular (class) and plural (table) for example: People = Person Ducks = Duck Geese = Goose Categories = Category Seems like a nice idea in concept, but no

God help you if you are writing an app for a foreign language audience:
    Possible Duplicate: How do I override rails naming conventions? My app is gonna be in spanish. Say I want to scaffold generate actividad. the plural would be actividades so I want the table an...

Advice from one Rails nut: "do it in English instead!" Thanks a lot, *******.

What if I want to name my class Media? That's a plural form!
    I'm a newcomer to Ruby just using this forum to help understand the language while I code a sample application to hone my skills. I've tried to set up a has many relationship between Product &...

Too bad! Change the name, because ActiveRecord is dumb.

I want to find whoever thought this was good idea and string him up. This is insane. And what's worse is that people who use Ruby on Rails are completely religiously infatuated with it. Won't hear a word against it. They say it's the Next Big Thing. It's terrible.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Oh, HC, you're so square you'd probably use JSP instead.

Seriously speaking, though, Rails are good for one thing: building medium-sized web applications from scratch. If your app is too big or if you have to use existing *anything*, the magic is gone.
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Yes, I would. Tomcat >>>> Rails.

I swear to god, the documentation for Ruby and Ruby on Rails is practically nonexistant. They claim the "design philosophy" (if you can call it that) is "making programmers happy". If "not feeling required to write documentation" makes programmers happy, I can understand that, but that's sort of short-term thinking, no?

On the other hand, javadoc is really really good.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
        Seriously speaking, though, Rails are good for one thing: building medium-sized web applications from scratch. If your app is too big or if you have to use existing *anything*, the magic is gone.
        I don't even think it's good for that. The docs are awful, some are out of date, some are flat out wrong, some simply don't exist. It doesn't play nicely with anything else and it mandates this ridiculous authoritarian layout for your database. Maintaining this stuff seems like it'd be a huge pain in the ass. Why not just use java and tomcat and hibernate? Or PHP? Not that PHP is particularly great.

Comment

I use Perl for everything.
          (hence the username)

Comment

I don't know anything technical about Ruby on Rails, but I do know that its name is stupid.

Comment

I have a friend who is fairly into it

I like python and thought it was similar? apparently not

JM
              (although I don't use python for everything like some people... I still do most things in c++)
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

JM
                (although I don't use python for everything like some people... I still do most things in c++)
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                  I don't know anything technical about Ruby on Rails, but I do know that its name is stupid.
                  If only that were the only thing stupid about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post

JM
                    Python is similar in that it is a dynamically typed, multi-paradigm scripting language. The similarities basically end there, although ruby fans will insist otherwise.

Comment

goddamn double posts

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	214469_original.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	9094807
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I wish that had been a double post.

Comment

Sorry it didn't do that, Drake. Hope you like this one, too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	aaron-schock-shirtless.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	9094808
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Hottest person in Congress.

Comment

Working...
                              X