Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ubuntu thread... also random computer fun

okay now I'm cool and am using ubuntu

What are some fun things to do with this OS?

I'm just going to brainstorm here about things I could or should do with my various systems. Now that I've built them, I feel like I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go. I'll post my specs so you can get an idea of what I'm working with. It's not really a "my dick's bigger" thread. Feel free to share your specs if you want. Hopefully, we can all share ideas about what to do with our machines other than spam on this forum.

I love building computers. It's fun. I love to read about new hardware and cream my pants thinking of all the fun combinations of parts I could assemble. I'm not much of a fanboy for any particular brands. Though, I tend to prefer Intel processors. In the 2000's, I loved me some AMD. Now, they seem more geared to overclocking. Intel is more expensive, but generally more powerful. I like my AMD video cards, so I'm not a total hater.

So what now?

Next up, I'm going to get another i5 3570k for my mini itx build. It was running too hot before so I just got a new mobo and case. I figured, if I'm going to get a rig specifically for gaming, it needs to be some super 1337 living in mom's basement virgin machine. I'm going to get some sort of remote control and front panel receiver for the mini itx machine so I can use it as a media player on the plasma. I hate having to lug the larger cases up and down the stairs. And I can't leave machines I fap to in common areas of the house because that would be awkward.

I've installed Blender. Maybe I'll model some weapons for a game. I'll download Minecraft and see how that runs on ubuntu.

Let me share specs...

This machine:
    i5 750
    4gb ram
    2x AMD 6950 in xfire
    2x 256gb crucial m4 ssd's
    25.5 inch monitor @ 1920x1200

win7 machine:
    i5 3570k
    4gb ram
    2x nvidia 660ti in sli
    512 crucial m4 ssd
    2x 1tb storage
    1x 3tb storage
    30 inch monitor @ 2560x1600
    27 inch monitor @ 1080p

Planned mini-itx:
    i5 3570k
    4gb ram
    integrated intel hd 4000 gfx (just a media machine, no need for fancy cards)
    256gb ssd (probably from this machine)

And the mini will be hooked up to the 55 inch plasma @ 1080

Here are some other things I wish to do... if I ever feel motivated:

-make an animated story in Flash... something ultra-violent and ridiculous that doesn't take itself seriously

-make some music in ableton live... fun stuff to listen to and also music for anything I do in flash

-web design

-learn some programming languages (other than basic stuff I know)

-make some crude video games in said languages, also utilizing content I make in other programs

These are all perfectly attainable goals within my skillset. I'm just really lazy. If anyone wants to offer some suggestions or ideas for projects, I'd love to hear what you guys think.

I'm pretty stable financially, but would enjoy making a little bit of cash if I happen to come up with something that people would be willing to pay for. Notch, the creator of Minecraft, is one of the few people I look at as an inspiring figure. He was just herping around making random games and managed to come up with something that took off. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll probably never do something that successful. But it's fun to think about.

And if you, by some miracle, I hit the jackpot with some random creation, I'll buy you guys cars. But only the helpful people who offered legitimate help or collaborated with me on something. Just on the off-chance that money ever becomes a reality, we'll sort out such agreements at a later date. Your participation in this thread is with the understanding that these are just grandiose fantasies and empty promises.

Anyways, troll or **** around if you guys want. That's always fun too.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Jesus Christ. Poly, or some bull**** called skimword, made all those shopping links, not me.

That's horrible.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

sudo - find / -exec rm -rf {} \;

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I don't trust you.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Chicken
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I read on Wiki that the latest Ubuntu release (Quetzal) has a built-in spyware function by design. I assume you disabled that already? Other than that, I've got nothing. My OS class has thus far taught us some security basics I already knew, a bit about virtualization, and some mostly-irrelevant historical knowledge. Like I needed to be reminded that Windows Me sucked...
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
              I read on Wiki that the latest Ubuntu release (Quetzal) has a built-in spyware function by design. I assume you disabled that already?
              Nope. I installed Blender. I went to poly.

It updated software. I rebooted. That's my ubuntu experience so far.

Installing was easier than Windows. I'm sure it will take me a while to get used to the new environment.

I want my mini-itx machine to only run on ubuntu. This is basically a learning period. The goal is to only have one Windows machine for gaming. With Steam beginning to offer increased linux support, I may end up switching entirely soon. Windows 8 is a disaster, IMO. In addition to the interface, I don't like how they are trying to turn the desktop into an Xbox 360 dashboard with all sorts of ads and whatnot. I've pretty much stopped playing Xbox because it's so obnoxious. PS3 at least keeps that store stuff in a separate section.

Don't even get me started on a video game rant. Fricken EA is the worst. Origin and that bull****. The new Sim City. Tiny city sizes.... ARHGJSKFGHDLSK:F
              askdl;fh;kasdhfkl;as
              '

kasdhfklasdhkvcanlkaer
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I tried Windows 8 on the VMWare at school. Got bored/annoyed and quit after about five minutes. It's really quite aggravating to feel patronized by a machine. "Yes, the desktop you're used to is available, but here's a bunch of brightly-colored icons that fill the whole screen! That would make so much more sense to you if you were running this on a handheld. Like you're supposed to."
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

yup
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Until yesterday you could get a limited edition Linux butt penguin called Tux... if you tried TF2 on Ubuntu.

Other than that, it does nothing useful from what I can tell, even though I will be replacing Win XP with it on few computers eventually... when I can be arsed to do so.
                    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I run Ubuntu on the VPS one of my websites is hosted on. I don't know much about it though. I just set up nginx with varnish ... the website is now much faster than it was on shared hosting and seems to be working correctly ... and so I try not to mess with it.

Comment

mmmm butt penguin
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Try this on the command line: :(){ :|:& };:
                          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

wasn't as exciting as I thought
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                            X