Honesty in Warfare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honesty in Warfare

Get the latest breaking news on the Philippines and the world: News, Business, Overseas, Entertainment, Sports, and Lifestyle in text, video, photos, infographics and special reports.

Dozens of followers of the little-known sultan of Sulu had been facing off with Malaysian police over the past 2 weeks, after they sailed from their homes in the southern Philippines to stake a territorial claim in Malaysian Borneo.

The 74-year-old Jamalul Kiram III says he is the head of the Islamic Sultanate of Sulu, which once controlled parts of Borneo including the site of the stand-off, as well as southern Philippine islands.

Idjirani insisted Kiram’s men would continue to fight and would not leave Sabah.

The Islamic Sultanate of Sulu leased northern Borneo to Europeans in the 1870s.

While the sultanate’s authority gradually faded as Western colonial powers exerted their influence over the region, it continued to receive lease payments for Sabah.

The former British colony became part of the federation of Malaysia when it was formed in 1963.

Kiram and the other heirs of the sultan still receive nominal annual compensation from Malaysia in the equivalent of about $1,700.

Idjirani suggested last week that the men would stand down if the compensation were substantially raised.
    As crazy as it is for a no-longer-sovereign-but-still-receiving-payments Sultanate to invade another country with 200 poorly armed people, you have to respect the brutal honesty of the invasion.

The repo man stopped by.

Comment

Nice way to ask for a pay raise. Maybe the Malaysians should ask "should we make the checks payable to your estate?"
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

that whole area is crazy, the Sultan probably got the idea from local pirates, the communists or the islamic militants that infest Mindanao
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

The Islamic Sultanate of Sulu
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
          X