Bob Woodward: Yes, the sequester was totally the White House's idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PLATO View Post
    I think so too. Obama has been doing way to much "campaigning" to really be doing anything other than trying to set up the Republicans for the fall. Once it happens, he can tell everybody "See, I told you so...EVIL REPUBLICANS did it!"

Honestly, I think the republicans would look at taxes if Obama would just let them know what he is willing to do on entitlements.

Hence my "My way or the Highway" comment.
    You would think the Republicans would realize how to play this PR game by now.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by PLATO View Post
      I could buy into this if the last crisis had had some "balance". The last one was just tax increases. I think the Republicans are willing to let the sequester happen if there is no real movement on spending cuts or entitlement reform.

Maybe it is just me, but it sure looks like the White House wants their cake and eat it too.
      They're politicians and more than capable of playing the game to win, but let's not forget what came before the last round when the Dems finally got some tax increases. Before that it was round after round of the Repubs getting cuts without giving up next to anything in return. After the tax increases, it raised a lot of heckles on the left when the right were going around saying 'Now it's our turn!' after they'd already gained so much.

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
      Obama Doesn't Hate Woodward, He Hates Washington
      Which makes him probably the most sensible person in the White House for decades, no?

Comment

• RTFA

Comment

• Have read article. Still at loss as to why we should feel upset that Obama doesn't like the Washington inner circle people.

Comment

• So the show's plot is simple: Can a popular president, recently reelected and reigning supreme culturally and socially, master -- for the sake of prosperity and his vision of a just society -- the sclerotic tribal dynamics of Washington? ...

Which means the president is going to have to handle this one personally. Building popular pressure can help. Indeed, it is indispensable. But restructuring the budget, the core challenge, is going to demand eons of time in private with people he doesn't like or trust.

The president doesn't hide his disdain for Congress, for the folkways of traditional Washington, for the petty egos in Congress and the media. He has unified the Democrats under his banner, but he doesn't think they need to be tended to personally. ...

Somebody has to be an adult in this situation, and it falls to the president

And there is some justice in that. He was the one who first suggested the too-cute-by-half ploy of sequester. He was the one who put entitlements "on the table" for serious discussion, but hasn't talked much about that side of the equation lately. He said he wants a Grand Bargain. And he is president. He loves Lincoln and "Lincoln." He has to dive in.
            Obama, Our Celebrity President, Faces Real World Test

Comment

• I always love the "celebrity" comments. Usually they come from people like Sarah Palin... who is the Kim Kardashian of politics.

I'm pretty sure being President makes you a celebrity.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
                I always love the "celebrity" comments. Usually they come from people like Sarah Palin... who is the Kim Kardashian of politics.
                Usually, but Howard Fineman is an experienced political correspondent and frequent MSNBC contributor. You get only the best from me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                  Usually, but Howard Fineman is an experienced political correspondent and frequent MSNBC contributor. You get only the best from me.
                  As a huffpo contributor, he's certainly made his choice about the kind of journalist/commentator he wants to be. And MSNBC is certainly the liberal FOXNews.

It just took me a little by surprise. He wasn't a guy I generally though of when it came to political trolls. That headline of his is little more than internet click-bait.

So yeah, he's a douche.

Was pointing that out an effort on your part to invalidate a political point of view different from your own?

This whole Woodward thing is a she-said she-said. You'd think these people would try to take the high road. How old is he? Maybe he's got early onset something.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• I'm in it for the lulz, just like Bob Woodward.

Comment

• Woodward will get increased sales from his books. What's your excuse?
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat View Post
                        Woodward will get increased sales from his books. What's your excuse?
                        Sigh. If he's just after the publicity, that's sad.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• It works. Look at Coulter.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                            Then why did you post Woodward's stuff?
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

It works. Look at Coulter.
                              ugh
                              I'd rather not.
                              Fugly people don't do themselves any favors when they are despicable.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Woodward will get increased sales from his books. What's your excuse?
                                I already said that I'm in it for the lulz.

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat View Post
                                It works. Look at Coulter.
                                QFT. Ann Coulter is a genius.

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                                Then why did you post Woodward's stuff?
                                Woodward is a legendary journalist.

Comment

Working...
                                X