Go Gauchos!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go Gauchos!

It was a great school to attend and now a Dutch study has found UCSB to be one of the top 10 universities in the world. I'm sure I'll hear some sort of personal attacks from the usual nattering nabobs of negativism but they can stuff it.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

The top 25 universities out of 500 in the world.

Top 25 Universities
    1. MIT
    2. Princeton University
    3. Harvard University
    4. Rice University
    5. Stanford University

6. Caltech
    7. University of California, Santa Barbara
    8. University of California, Berkeley
    9. Carnegie Mellon University
    10. University of California, San Francisco
    11. Yale University
    12. Ecole Polytech Federale Lausan
    13. University of Washington, Seattle
    14. University of Chicago
    15. Georgia Inst Technology
    16. Northwestern University
    17. Colombia University
    18. ETH Zurich
    19. University of California, San Diego
    20. University of California, Los Angeles
    21. University of California, Santa Cruz
    22. University of Pennsylvania
    23. Rensselaer Polytech Inst
    24. University of Colorado, Boulder
    25. Weizmann Inst Sci

As the top 6 universities are all private this makes UCSB the best public university in the world even beating UCB. Woot!

Comment

That Yale is below Harvard discredits that list. I guess it all comes down to money.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

University of Virginia is better and has a more interesting history. **** California.

Comment

Five out the top ten are in California with three being UC schools. There are three more UC campuses on the top 21 too. Not bad. CalTech and Stanford are private though.

It's interesting to see how this list differs from U.S. News' annual college rankings. In 2011 they had UCSB as 10th in the country but behind UCB, UCLA, and UCSD where as this list ranks UCSB just ahead of UCB which is something I haven't seen before. I would be interesting to read their criteria more closely to see how they arrived at their ranks.

What I really find amazing is that the only non-American schools on the list where two from Switzerland and one from Israel.
          Last edited by Dinner; February 22, 2013, 22:50.

Comment

Gauchos are so gay.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

This is one strange ranking. I like The Times' one.
              Graffiti in a public toilet
              Do not require skill or wit
              Among the **** we all are poets
              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Naw, as the school was like 69% female watching the fans jump up and down was very far from gay.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                  This is one strange ranking. I like The Times' one.
                  +1
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I was hoping this would be about the Argentinian cowboy types. Those dudes are cool. Nuts to your mascots, or whatever this is actually about.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                      University of Virginia is better and has a more interesting history. **** California.
                      Go strum a banjo.
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                        Five out the top ten are in California with three being UC schools. There are three more UC campuses on the top 21 too. Not bad. CalTech and Stanford are private though.

It's interesting to see how this list differs from U.S. News' annual college rankings. In 2011 they had UCSB as 10th in the country but behind UCB, UCLA, and UCSD where as this list ranks UCSB just ahead of UCB which is something I haven't seen before. I would be interesting to read their criteria more closely to see how they arrived at their ranks.

What I really find amazing is that the only non-American schools on the list where two from Switzerland and one from Israel.
                        Trolling for fun aside, I think those sort of lists are bull****. Obviously, someplace like San Diego State or any podunk-ass state school isn't going to be near the top, but you can skew and play weighting games to get any school slightly above or slightly below. Does UCSB outrank Caltech or UCB for physics? Not in this or any other ****ing universe. Then you can rank all sorts of extraneous factors such as social bull****.
                        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Perhaps its ranked on babes, which is what college is really about. That would allow Harvard to eek ahead of Yale.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                            Perhaps its ranked on babes, which is what college is really about. That would allow Harvard to eek ahead of Yale.
                            If that were the case, MIT wouldn't even be on the list.
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                            X