Peculiar Diseases Of The Finns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deadly diseases meet 7 Deadly Finns....

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I have been to Finland, and Lived!

One reason the Finns are important to genetic studies is they have extraordinarily long and detailed parish records which helped scientists track diseases within the population over several centuries.
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
        I have been to Finland, and Lived!

One reason the Finns are important to genetic studies is they have extraordinarily long and detailed parish records which helped scientists track diseases within the population over several centuries.
        Indeed- the book 'Sequence' mentions what an invaluable source of information the registers are- and the relatively small population, lack of inward/outward migration for some time, and so on.

I had a friend who worked with an expatriate Finnish community on an island off the coast of British Columbia.

Alcoholism was a big problem....

Click image for larger version

Name:	sointula-poster-02-darryl-luscombe.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	9094781
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

they did well to survive with you know who next door

Last edited by Alexander's Horse; March 2, 2013, 17:48.
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
          X