Fun with pork chops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with pork chops

I'm not much of a cook, but pork is my wife's least favorite meat, so if I want it, I cook it myself. I modified the following from Cook's Illustrated's "New Best Recipe" book, which is very nice but tends to favor some seriously MacGyver cooking science. I like pork, but I'm also lazy, and coddling a roux for five minutes is a monstrous PITA. Also my wife doesn't do gluten.

SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS (Elokian bastardization)

Render three strips of bacon, broken up into small chunks, in a large pan (big enough to hold two chops). Remove with a slotted spoon when they're crispy, leaving the grease behind. Use said grease to fry up two yellow onions (diced) and one or two cloves of garlic (minced, quantity depending on how much you like garlic) until they turn that lovely gunky-brown caramelized consistency. Then take them out and brown your two chops in the schputz. Browning is really tricky for me, especially with pork chops--I'm always afraid that I'll burn them. Any advice on this? Anyway, once they're browned take THEM out and deglaze with chicken broth. Deglazing, if you don't know, is when you pour on a liquid and scrape out the crud left behind after browning; that crud is full of flavor and you want it. Add a bay leaf, a teaspoon of thyme, and a smattering of parsley, then toss the pork chops back in and dump the onions on top. Then cover, reduce heat to low and braise those suckers for half an hour. Then thicken the gravy with arrowroot or flour or whatever you like. Serve over egg noodles, sprinkling with the reserved bacon bits (which should be crumbled, so you can get a bit of bacon in every bite).

That's more or less exactly how I did it last week--I'm not positive exactly how much thyme was in there. Outstanding. And if that sounds like a lot of hassle, the cookbook's version was worse. There were about three pans involved, and a roux. As I type this, I have a different pork chop recipe braising, with wine, dijon mustard, and sage. Hopefully it'll be as good as the smothered ones were.

How do you cook pork chops?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

That sounds awesome. And also it sounds like a lot of effort. The most complicated thing I've cooked lately is meatloaf.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

try white wine instead of chicken stock for deglazing. also you can dredge your chops in flour too to get a sort of crispy thing going on. do you prefer bone in or bone out?
      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Cook them in a crock pot. Foolproof, which should appeal to you.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Bone in, all the way (er, the Freudian overtones there were not intended, but I'll keep it that way for vulgar laughs). It's less work, and if you're braising all that connective gunk does good things for the gravy.

HC, a little secret: women like a man who can cook good food. It's generally worth the effort to earn at least a green belt in pan-fu.
          1011 1100

Comment

Also: HALF-teaspoon of thyme, for two chops.
            1011 1100

Comment

Four parts Italian dressing, one part orange juice, one part apple sauce. Grill over charcoal, marinade with a basting brush, flip at least three times. Doesn't matter if they're bone-in or boneless, but I prefer boneless.
              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

For something fancier:

1 box linguine
                2 jars spaghetti sauce
                1-2 lbs boneless pork chops
                1 can chopped mushrooms
                1 tablespoon capers
                1 tablespoon chopped garlic
                1 cup chicken broth
                1 cup red wine
                2 tablespoons olive oil
                1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Combine all ingredients except for linguine and 1 jar spaghetti sauce, bake covered at 350 for 90 minutes. Remove pork chops and mushrooms and place in another pot with the remaining jar of spaghetti sauce, put in the oven for 15 minutes. Serve over linguine.

This also works for boneless chicken instead of boneless pork chops. If you're feeling industrious then you can reduce the sauce instead of tossing it and replacing it, but I'm much too lazy to do that.
                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                  HC, a little secret: women like a man who can cook good food. It's generally worth the effort to earn at least a green belt in pan-fu.
                  I'm aware of this, I just rarely have time to cook.
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Going back to Cooks Illustrated, have you followed their PBS series (America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country)? I think both of them are great, I even bought the Cook's Country Cookbook.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I like to cup them in hands and see how many I can hold against my body.
                      Last edited by DaShi; February 21, 2013, 19:31.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                        I like to cup them in hands and see how many I can hold again my body.
                        You can tie one around your neck and finally get a dog that will play with you.

Comment

Undercook them and wait for your dinner guests to develop brain parasites:

Pork Tapeworms a Small, But Growing Trend

"We've got a lot more of cases of this in the United States now," said Raymond Kuhn, professor of biology and an expert on parasites at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, N.C. "Upwards of 20 percent of neurology offices in California have seen it."
                          Rosemary Alvarez of Phoenix thought she had a brain tumor, but on the operating table her doctor discovered something even more unsightly: a parasitic worm eating her brain.
                          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                          X