Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The strange case of Prisoner X, the modern man in the iron mask?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The strange case of Prisoner X, the modern man in the iron mask?

Have you heard of this case? Shocking the way people can just disappear these days...

FOREIGN Minister Bob Carr has ordered a review of his department's handling of the mysterious case of Melbourne man Ben Zygier after it emerged Australian diplomats did know about his imprisonment in Israel.

Senator Carr says he was acting on Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade advice when he told the ABC's Foreign Correspondent program this week that the government knew nothing of Mr Zygier's detention until after his death in 2010.

But Senator Carr says DFAT told him today that some officials were aware of it much earlier.

"The department has today come back and said some officers of the department were in fact aware of his detention," a spokesman for Senator Carr told AAP.

Senator Carr subsequently ordered DFAT Secretary Peter Varghese to review the case.

"That's not to suggest anything untoward has happened, but given that there's an interest in the case, let's have the review," the spokesman said.

Mr Zygier, also known as Ben Alon, died apparently by his own hand in a high-security cell at Ayalon Prison near Tel Aviv in December 2010, Foreign Correspondent revealed.

While the circumstances surrounding Mr Zygier's detention are shrouded in mystery, the Foreign Correspondent report suggested he worked for Israeli spy agency Mossad.

Local and international media have speculated he was the so-called Prisoner X, one of the Israeli security community's most sensitive national-security secrets.

The story of Prisoner X first emerged in May 2010 when Israel's Ynet news website ran a story titled "Who are you, Mr X?", in which it spoke about a prisoner being held in top-secret conditions whose identity and crime were not even known to his jailers.

But the story was quickly taken offline due to a gag order.

The ABC report said Mr Zygier moved from Melbourne to Israel in 2000, married an Israeli woman and fathered two children.

Seven days after he died at age 34 his body was flown to Melbourne where he was buried in a Jewish cemetery.

Two Israeli MPs questioned the justice minister over the ABC report in the Knesset, or parliament, today.

"This prisoner was detained under a name which was not his own. Do you know about this?" Arab Israeli MP Ahmed Tibi asked during an open question session.

"Can you confirm that this Australian committed suicide in prison under a false name so it wouldn't be revealed he was being detained in Israel?" he asked outgoing Justice Minister Yaakov Neeman.

Mr Neeman said he was not able to answer the questions because the justice ministry was not responsible for prisons.

"But there is no doubt that if true, the matter must be looked into," he added.

Australian Greens leader Christine Milne said Senator Carr should press Israel about the circumstances of the case.

Comment has been sought from the Israeli embassy in Canberra.

AAP
    His family hasn't sought any help from the Australian govt., even after all the recent publicity. Curioser and Curioser...
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Do you know anything that's worthy of sharing or do you just find enjoyment in the spreading of rumors?

Comment

Interesting if he was Mossad.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Sounds like a conspiracy theory.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Hanged in a supposed suicide-proof cell tends to lend itself to conspiracy theories. A couple of sources indicated that an Oz diplomatic official was informed of the arrest and detention, but that official apparently dropped the ball and it was never reported through normal channels.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
            Sounds like a conspiracy theory.
            This.

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat View Post
            Hanged in a supposed suicide-proof cell tends to lend itself to conspiracy theories. A couple of sources indicated that an Oz diplomatic official was informed of the arrest and detention, but that official apparently dropped the ball and it was never reported through normal channels.
            And since when do you care for people dying in prisons? People dying in prison in supposedly western countries? Or is it just the "Mossad" angle that gives you wet ideas about a conspiracy? Blaming circumstances for your own train of thoughts is just lame.

Just rumors. Why people would be so willing to spread rumors about Israel is beyond me, somewhat.

Comment

His death by hanging in a very high security prison isn't rumor, it's widely admitted fact.

It's also fairly unusual in civilized countries for foreign nationals to be held without at least de minimus consular notification. No big deal in the third world, happens all the time.

What bug crawled up your ass and died?

Comment

reminds me of the Mordechai Vanunu case - could be nuclear secrets - Israel is very touchy about those
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

What bug crawled up your ass and died?
                  This ?
                  "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

A couple of sources indicated that an Oz diplomatic official was informed of the arrest and detention, but that official apparently dropped the ball and it was never reported through normal channels.
                    That is hitting the fan right now, can't wait to find out who fessed up...I'm back in Oz this coming week...

Comment

Wasn't this guy supposed to have come from Australia to Israel to join Mossad? Maybe he joined, then didn't like what he saw and attempted to go AWOL, or attempted to blow the whistle.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

It isn't clear, and there are a differences between an "officer" and an "agent" and a "source" or an "operator" or "contractor" and so on, the media tends to talk about these thing inter-changeably. He must have done something or been suspected of something pretty terrible for Israel to be treated like that. I'd say nukes related, which is a life and death security issue for them.

Comment

I can think of a number of things Israel's secret services might be doing that they'd rather not share with the world and for which they might dispose of an officer, agent, source or contractor should he be showing signs of losing his discretion. OTOH why lock him up for a period of time? Maybe to try to determine how much, if anything, had been leaked?
                          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                          X