Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes, they really are always watching you...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, they really are always watching you...

I've watched several episodes of the TV show Person of Interest, which is kind of a paranoid's wet dream. We've also seen all kinds of cellular tracking and the like in crime and spy procedurals in recent years.

Last week I was at a trade show, where I ran into an old acquaintance and learned (to my great surprise, I must admit) that he is employed by DARPA.

Which led me to some Interwebs reconnaissance on DARPA...

Which led me to this story about the ARGUS-IS drone camera, just posted today...

Atlantic Magazine Spycam Story

Pretty freaking cool and/or scary stuff...
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Alex Jones, is that you?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Love your country, watch your government.
      Maybe far-fetched for the United States, but imagine this technology widely deployed in a country with a more repressive government.
      Excellent point, but America still needs to be aware.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

More repressive government - the difference is only in the capture net. In the new world were even more so like sardines in a shoal circled by sharks. You are protected by numbers, and numbers alone.

If someone in the position of power singles you out - you are toast, but thankfully it does not happen on a wide scale, just relatively miniscule one. With a more repressive governmet the net would just widen to capture more fry, but as it it, let's enjoy the party (ie the freedom that we have) while it lasts.

Great vid btw, I thought this was very much possible, probably facial recognition is possible from up there as well despite of weird angles, but was not aware of nice youtube videos about 2009 (or actually much older) tech. Nice find .
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Facial rec and license plate ID is problematic from above, but the proliferation of ground-level "traffic" cameras should take care of that little detail.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

It's probably more practical just to pick up the unique identifiers transmitted by most new cars for bluetooth, etc.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Oh, I thought this was going to be about Netflix.
              "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I heard Belichick is trying buy one.
                Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Repressive regimes are inherently self-destructive. Sure, authoritarianism is a threat democracies will always face. Extreme scenarios are possible yet unlikely. The likeliest worries from information gathering devices is more personalized spam/advertising and taxation in the form of traffic fines from speeding and red light cameras. Some such revenue generating schemes in America are unraveling due to corrupt relationships between local public officials and the private firms who specialize in producing such technology. The democratization of technology is a door that swings both ways.

*points to Lt. Governor phone scandal thread
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                  X