Columbia astronauts weren't told of malfunction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbia astronauts weren't told of malfunction

Hard to believe that it's been 10 years.

Decade after Columbia Shuttle disaster, ABC reveals NASA hid slim re-entry chances from astronauts. Flight Director: Crew would rather not know

Decade after Columbia Shuttle disaster, ABC reveals NASA hid slim re-entry chances from astronauts. Flight Director: Crew would rather not know

WASHINGTON - At the 10th anniversary of the Columbia Space Shuttle Disaster, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) admitted that it did not reveal to the seven astronauts on-board, among them Israeli Ilan Ramon, that there was a considerable chance they will not successfully finish their journey.

ABC news exposed Friday that NASA considered whether to notify the astronauts of the severity of their situation, but that the decision was made to allow the astronauts to enjoy their mission while they can.

Wayne Hale, a Mission Control member, disclosed that as the ground team discussed the damage caused to the shuttle at its launch Flight Director Jon Harpold told him:

"I think the crew would rather not know. Don't you think it would be better for them to have a happy successful flight and die unexpectedly during entry than to stay on orbit, knowing that there was nothing to be done, until the air ran out?"

At the time no one knew for sure whether the shuttle sustained any damage when foam from an external fuel tank broke off and hit the shuttle's left wing during blast off.
    Even if they did, NASA had no option for repair, as the crew was far from the International Space Station, had no robotic arm to examine the wing and it would have taken too long for launch a rescue mission.

On February 1, 2003, the Columbia Space Shuttle disintegrated over the Texan skies killing all seven astronauts on board.

In the wake of the disaster, a probe revealed that it was indeed the foam, the size of a briefcase weighing less than a kilogram, which hit Columbia's left wing and damaged the shuttle's thermal protection system, exposing the shuttle to the intense heat of atmospheric re-entry, causing the disaster.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

I don't even remember this.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I think NASA definitely made the right call.

Comment

Personally, I would want to know. I certainly don't fault NASA for its decision though.
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Why would you want to know you were inevitably going to die in the near future?

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
            Why would you want to know you were inevitably going to die in the near future?
            Peace with my Maker and all that...personal reasons.
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Fair play.

Comment

I'm sure it was a very tough decision. My initial inclination is to say I'd want to know, for the reasons Plato cited, but I'm not sure. Tough decision.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

related history

http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/7...-Columbia-Lost!

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

They should have told them. No question. Let them communicate with their families, no words left unsaid.

They were professionals, damnit. Give them the respect they deserved.

Maybe something could have been done, maybe not, but give them the options.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I agree with TMM.

It's the talking to their families thing.
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                        They should have told them. No question. Let them communicate with their families, no words left unsaid.

They were professionals, damnit. Give them the respect they deserved.

Maybe something could have been done, maybe not, but give them the options.
                        I wonder if NASA has any liability for this decision with the families.

It would also seem to me that this type situation should have been discussed with the Astronauts before under taking a mission and that a collective decision for the crew would have been obtained.

It also seems to me that some type of psychological evaluation should have been done to see how the astronauts would react to a Kobayashi Maru situation.

Comment

It's an example of how little NASA really learned from Challenger. ISS was a lot more constrained in its ability to host additional crew at that time than now, but NASA basically rolled the dice each time because it was rare that a second shuttle was near enough to launch ready.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I think they should have tried to send some of them down on the Soyuz they keep docked. Then maybe launch another Soyuz.
                            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

They recovered cockpit footage.

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X