Patrick Horse goes to boarding school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrick Horse goes to boarding school

Young Patrick Horse has joined his brothers at boarding school.

His first week is now over. The main news was Kate Banchet's son is boarding at the school with Pat. I'm afraid I don't know his name. He seems to be known as Kate Blanchet's son, let's call him KBS.

Pat claims KBS is one of his new friends. However I fear every boy is claiming KBS as one of his friends. The boy will have to be careful because at boarding school all the boys end up with nicknames which stick for life. He could become KBS.

I know a man whose real name is Iain but he is known as Fred to this day because in his early days at boarding school someone called out "hey Fred, pass the sauce" because they didn't know his name. So Fred became his name.

At the school the boarders are a breed apart. They have secrets and rituals which my other sons only hint at. Apparently Pat has made another friend called Ben, a small boy who follows him around everywhere.

Pat has signed up for guitar and tennis lessons. He already dislikes one of the duty boarding masters. Sounds like things are going pretty well.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Why would you send your kids to boarding school? Sanity for yourselves?
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I would have hated boarding school, personally.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

My brother and I both considered going to boarding school, but the deciding factor in favor of public school was cost.
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

It's a good place to learn The Facts of Life.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Though not the heterosexual ones.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
              Why would you send your kids to boarding school? Sanity for yourselves?
              Partly. Mrs Horse got very sick in 2010. She doesn't cope with them as well anymore. I fear it's too much of a strain on her health. We move around a lot because of my work and it's too painful for the boys to lose friends and have to make new ones every two or three years. Some boys feel that loss quite deeply. My family is in Sydney where they go to school. They are getting lots of time with them, especially my parents who are now getting very old. Where we are living currently doesn't have a good High school. So for all its faults boarding school was a good choice for us. It is a very good school and opening many opportunities for them.
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

My younger brother went to boarding school the last couple of years of highschool.

It was difficult for my family to afford, and there was a public school nearby, but I think it was a very good thing because of how atrocious that public school was.

His highschool was a coed Christian one, and I am sure that (despite the desires of the adults) plenty of heterosexual activity took place.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The local highschool had the highest pregnancy rate in OR some years (I think). I think less than 50% of my class (which was a high achieving class, unlike years after mine) graduated highschool at the end of 4 years...

JM
                  Last edited by Jon Miller; February 1, 2013, 21:22.
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Boarding school makes sense for a limited subset of the population. I'd say kids of a diplomat, or of a career soldier, are in that subset (given the frequent moves). My wife attended boarding school for high school; she lived in a small town with a football school (ie, a high school that spent more money on the football team than on actual learning). It worked well for her; her brother, a year older, hated it and came back after one year. She was a lot less social than he, and a lot more book-learning, hence the reason I imagine.
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Just make your son demand be called Horsie Jr because that's what daddy do - should make him popular
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Yes, well funny you should mention that, because they don't know about my Horse persona.

Boarding school isn't really something we contemplated until it became necessary.

Another category it suits is children in remote or isolated locations. A friend just sent her teenage girls off the island to a boarding school in Texas. They are loving it, signing up for everything, especially sports, which they couldn't do here.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                          Yes, well funny you should mention that, because they don't know about my Horse persona.
                          I think it's cruel of you to keep your real persona hidden to your own son - he should learn to be proud of his heritage no matter the cost
                          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

maybe one day they shall find this rich trove of my wit and wisdom, lol

Comment

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                              X