Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would 13M Germans vote for a guy with a small moustache?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would 13M Germans vote for a guy with a small moustache?

I'm amazed by this, although it happened over 80 years ago. We've never had a discussion about it. Would anyone vote for a man with a tiny moustache? This was like bizarro world in the 30's.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

You voted a monkey in the white house. Twice.

And before someone cries racist: I was talking about Shrub.
    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Yeah, but he doesn't have a small moustache (probably only difference).

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
        Yeah, but he doesn't have a small moustache (probably only difference).
        Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	9094583
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Why all the hate @ Charlie Chaplin?
          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

George Orwell.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I'm amazed by this, although it happened over 80 years ago. We've never had a discussion about it. Would anyone vote for a man with a tiny moustache? This was like bizarro world in the 30's.
              A better question might be how long before the tiny mustache comes back in fashion!

Comment

They don't share your arbitrary aesthetic standards for who is fit for high office.

Comment

Just to be fair....
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	9094584
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

^Now that looks like Charlie Chaplin.
                    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Are you suggesting our President is a little tramp?
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Maybe they really liked his mustache.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                          Are you suggesting our President is a little tramp?
                          No, I'm suggesting he's secretly Jewish.

Comment

The German vote polarised because of the depression, Hitler offered hope and a restoration of national pride, there was also a sense that moderate politicians had failed and "stern measures" were necessary, particularly because of communist agitation. Of course it didn't turn out well but people weren't to know that in 1933. Hitler didn't get a majority vote until the Enabling Acts in 1934 (?) after the Reichstag fire. After that, it was too late, and the vote was overwhelming.

One curious aspect of Hitlerism which has been pointed out by a number of historians, probably first by AJP Taylor, is that Hitler is the most popular leader that Germany has ever had up to the present day.

His popularity soared after the fall of France and it was only after the disaster at Stalingrad that it started to slip. But he still remained popular. The allied bombing offensive in 1944 and battlefield defeats from 1942 onwards further dented Hitler's popularity but it was strong enough to keep Germany fighting to the bitter end. Recent research indicates Hitler's "spell" wasn't broken until 1945, after the failure of the Ardennes offensive, the loss of East Prussia and the realisation that Germany was going to be invaded and the "wonder weapons" weren't going to materialise or change the course of the war if they did appear. It was too late by then.

Repressive measures and fears of Russian occupation played their part but it seems Hitler still had a grip on the popular imagination right up until the end of the war, which is extraordinary when you think about it, and very hard to imagine now. Even when the war turned against Germany the popular mood was Hitler would find a way out. Those Germans who opposed him were a tiny minority, mainly from the old elite, the aristocracy etc.
                            Last edited by Alexander's Horse; January 30, 2013, 07:57.
                            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Ok, I can see that during the depression they would be willing to try anyone, even someone with a tiny moustache.

Comment

Working...
                              X