Help Lori identify a story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Lori identify a story.

So, I have a fragment of a story stuck in my head. I have absolutely no idea what medium this story takes. It might be from a movie, or a book, or something else entirely. (I'm pretty sure I didn't dream this.)

The tiny slice of a plot that I can remember is that the story takes place in a "post-scarcity" world, but the dirty rich capitalists don't want it to be that way. The solution, at least for one evil horrible rich man, is to create products that, when consumed, destroy every other instance of that product in existence, to give people the satisfaction of having the last of something. The example given in the story is of an apple that, when bitten into, makes all the other apples like it suddenly rot, or have worms in them, or something like that. It's a way to create a kind of artificial scarcity that allows material products to maintain value, and thus sustain the capitalistic system.

Anyone have any idea where I'm getting this from? Thanks.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

It's from SMBC, but I'll let someone else find it.

EDIT:
    well, was too easy :

Comment

Thank you!
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
      X