There is nothing like Juan-squirt-os.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is nothing like Juan-squirt-os.

Went out drinking with the friends tonight, failed at picking up ladies, but at least at the end of the night there is a 24/7 Mexican place selling cheap and greasy Mexican food which some how makes everything better. Most of them are named something-berto's as in Roberto's or Alberto's or Juanberto's but my Mexican friend simply calls them all "Juan-squirto's". For some reason I, in my drunken state, found that to be hilarious.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Last night was a bit of a rough night for me too. I am happy to find out that the things I find hilarious when being madly drunk are actually funny!
    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Yeah, the original one was Roberto's, then Alberto's, and then everyone else ripped off something similar. There's Royberto's (AFAIK, the first name derivative/ripoff), Adalberto's, Rigoberto's and there's at least four or five other 'berto's. Then there's the ones named for Mexican states. Even one semi-nice one called "Chilangos" (Chilango is Mex. slang for someone from Mexico City - it's not a compliment, but they sometimes take it as a badge of honor. )

It was never open 24/7, but did you ever eat at the old Ponce's while the old man ran it, rather then the yuppified new Ponce's? I miss the old Ponce's - that was good Mexican comfort food.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Every single British poster is now s******ing at the concept of eating at the old ponce's.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Yeah, luckily the old owner didn't live in the UK. Imagine going through life with that as your name.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I don't think I've ever eaten at Ponce's. There are so many different taquerias around it would be hard to eat at them all though everyone seems to have their own personal favorite. Have you ever been to Aqui es Texcoco? The only meat they serve is goat but they do it a dozen different ways and it is pretty darn good. It's a shame it's so far south (almost to the border) other wise I would go more often. I also like the TJ Oyster Bar down there for really good Mexican style sea food.

Aqui es Texcoco brings Mexican-style lamb barbecue to the US, while respecting and maintaining the authentic flavors, recipes and traditions.

This website is for sale! tjoysterbar.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, tjoysterbar.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Ponces was like a diner style comida casera place in the day - long counter, everything straight out of the 50s and early 60s, best machaca con huevos on the planet, then they redecorated it and now it's a Normal Heights yuppie crowd. The old man (Ponce) was the chef, and one of his kids, and two of his sisters were the waitresses - all in their 60s when they handed it off to the younger generation. It was closed down for a while when the 15 was extended south in place of 40th street, so the younger generation decided to redecorate. It's still good food, but the atmosphere is just different now. The original was just old school San Diego, back when El Cajon Blvd. really was the main commercial district.

Never been to Aqui es Texcoco, I'll have to check that out. I miss Tacos El Yaqui down in Rosarito - that place is the best.

Comment

Tacos El Yakui moved to Chula Vista. The same family owns the restaurant but they moved everything north of the border. I've been amazed how many successful businesses have moved north into the San Diego simply because the owners got tired of the lawlessness, shake downs by the mob, government corruption, and fear of having their families kidnapped. Mexico's lose is our gain though because it means loads of new restaurants and small businesses opening up north of the border.

Comment

Working...
                X