No family holiday is complete without a trip to the hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No family holiday is complete without a trip to the hospital

It is becoming a family tradition. My turn this time, tripped on a step this afternoon straight into an old fashioned security grill hidden by a curtain on a landing. Very unlucky, fell forward just a little too far and hard. Blood everywhere, head wounds bleed a lot. Nasty deep imprint wound about two inches long like the mark of Zoro on my forehead. My glasses filled with blood like in the goggles scene in the Battle of Britain.

Miraculously no blood on my clothes so I was able to walk back to apartment with some dignity, covering the wound with a folded towel. I got pressure on the wound quickly and stopped the bleeding. Family members were giving me attitude so I just showed them the wound and they went quiet. It was a straight to the hospital job, I knew that much. I'd had a look at it myself in a mirror at the accident site.

The good news is this is Thailand so had a good idea which hospital to go to, straight into a wheelchair from the taxi, wheeled straight into the ER and laid out on a bed. The doctor is there immediately and three nurses start prepping. Within 5 minutes he is irrigating the wound and preparing to stitch it up. An hour later its done, tetanus needle administered. 30 stitches, 4 internal, 26 external.

After I noticed a big pool of blood on the pillow but I'm sitting up and okay. We decide to get an X-ray done just in case, wheeled off to X-ray, wait five minutes and the X-ray is back. Short consultation with the doctor about signs of concussion, off to pharmacy and billing. A sign says if you aren't called within 15 minutes please speak to them. In our case it was five or ten minutes.

Total cost 5,300 baht - about $175

The whole episode including return home took less than 3 hours, the injury was just after 3pm, we got to the hospital at about 3.30pm, stitches done by 4.30pm, X-rays by 5pm, billing and pharmacy by 5.30pm, home before 6pm, then out for dinner with friends. When I fall off the bike I like to get straight back on

Back tommorrow and Wednesday for replacement dressings. We fly out Thursday. A bit of a headache but I'm okay.

If it was Australia I would still be waiting for treatment if I went to a public hospital.
    Last edited by Alexander's Horse; January 14, 2013, 11:54.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

While reading your story, I thought about what would happen in the US.

Glad you are OK.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Glad you are OK.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post

Glad you are OK.

JM
        He would go to the hospital, pay a significantly higher but not unaffordable fee, go home, and be fine. He got stitches for Christ's sake, not a heart transplant.

Comment

yeah, not looking for sympathy, I was more interested in the speed of service and low cost
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

So, sounds like you'll end up with a nice scar. Try not to think too much.
            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
              He would go to the hospital, pay a significantly higher but not unaffordable fee, go home, and be fine. He got stitches for Christ's sake, not a heart transplant.
              Yes. I know.

That is why I made the comment I made (which was a comparison about the speed/cost).

Whether it is unaffordable or not depends on your situation.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Yes. I know.

That is why I made the comment I made (which was a comparison about the speed/cost).

Whether it is unaffordable or not depends on your situation.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

He'd pay $2000-$3000 for it in the US without insurance.

"Affordable" for many, not all.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Probably more like $1-2k and if you can't afford that then you're probably on medicaid anyway.

Comment

I had kidney stones in China. My hospital costs were $20 and could not have been happier with the quality of service and treatment.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

He's on an international vacation, Asher, that sort of implies the ability to drop some money in a crisis.

AH: Hope you are feeling better!
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Probably more like $1-2k and if you can't afford that then you're probably on medicaid anyway.
                          $1-2K is "average" for requiring stitches in the US.

He sounds like he needed more than average.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                            He's on an international vacation, Asher, that sort of implies the ability to drop some money in a crisis.
                            Why would it imply such ?
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              $1-2K is "average" for requiring stitches in the US.

He sounds like he needed more than average.
                              5-6 external stitches is going to be way less than $1k.

Originally posted by BlackCat
                              Why would it imply such ?
                              Because it costs a lot of money to travel internationally. Duh.

Comment

Working...
                              X