X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Liberals Getting Too Rich?

Wealthiest places backed cliff deal

By CHARLES MAHTESIAN | 1/4/13 4:48 PM EST
    According to an analysis by Patchwork Nation’s Dante Chinni, lawmakers representing the congressional districts most likely to get nailed by the fiscal cliff deal’s higher taxes were the ones most likely to vote for the bill.

From Chinni’s piece in the Wall Street Journal:

What makes a House member who serves wealthy constituents more likely to vote for a tax increase for the wealthy? There are a number of possible factors.

It could be that these congress people decided that the increase could have been worse, reached further down in the income scale – “this deal isn’t great, but it’s better than a lot of the alternatives.” Or it could be a different kind of self-interest.

As we have noted over on the Patchwork Nation site, wealthy communities (counties labeled the Monied Burbs) tend to have far more people invested in the stock market. Those places were likely more highly attuned to and concerned about the dive financial markets were projected to take if there was no deal.

I think there’s another explanation as well. The vote is a reflection of the increasingly asymmetrical nature of American politics, where the rules that once seemed to govern voting behavior – namely economic self-interest – no longer apply.

Many of the wealthiest congressional seats and most affluent constituencies are now Democratic, for example, rather than Republican as they once were.

In this case, 12 of the 20 wealthiest congressional districts in the nation are held by Democrats. And of the 8 GOP-held seats, few of them would be considered solidly Republican.

Against that backdrop, former Sen. Russell Long’s time-honored adage about tax politics -- “Don’t tax you, don’t tax me. Tax that fellow behind the tree" – might now be viewed as a vestige of a bygone era.
    UnAmerican, I tell you!.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
    UnAmerican, I tell you!.
    Don't worry. With current american policies there will be a galore of poor people to tax obscenly for decades.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Tell that to this guy

<p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I must admit that you yanks have some great standup comedians.

Can you please link to some of your polticians talking about tax problems ? I'm curious about USasinan policy.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
          Don't worry. With current american policies there will be a galore of poor people to tax obscenly for decades.
          As far as the rich go... they broke it, they bought it.

Although, it didn't quite happen in that order. But nevertheless.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Liberals owe a lot to the conservatives who fight their wars for them. I thought about this a lot in Afghanistan, especially around the wounded.
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
            X