CNN: Fat is fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNN: Fat is fit

New research finds overweight people live longer. Marilyn Wann says the only reason this is a surprise is fat prejudice. That this study reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association seems at all shocking is a measure of the intensity and pervasiveness of weight prejudice in our society and in our sciences.

What were you all saying again? Against all sense, the promotion of the obese lifestyle continues unabated in America
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Originally posted by Cormac McCarthy (courtesy of SomethingAwful)
    Fleshlight Classic (Available in Three Inputs)

Two holed, taintless, it will receive your violence with gnarled innards. More rests within the clapboard dresser. Drawn up from perdition, a maw with no face that speaks to a man's worst intention. A trio of wounds carved in shame. The potential of a million sons soured in the terrain of lifelike silicon. Gripping tightly or not at all. Incapable of knowing love or hate. It will look upon the proud javelin of Apollo's Kyparissos or the foulest specimen of expelled filth and intestine parasites with the same empty yearning as the clam's siphon for grit.
    "I agree"
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/03/opinio...html?hpt=hp_c3

What were you all saying again? Against all sense, the promotion of the obese lifestyle continues unabated in America
      Are you ever going to be anything even vaguely resembling normal?
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Smokers should start an "acceptance movement" too so they won't be looked down upon because of their unhealthy lifestyle choices.

Comment

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/03/opinio...html?hpt=hp_c3

I'd like to explain to you how you think you're persecuted because of a shifting status quo.
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

That article is idiotic - if fat people want to travel they can hire a bulk carrier.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Ability to sit and rise from the floor is closely correlated with all-cause mortality risk
              Test of musculo-skeletal fitness is 'strong predictor' of mortality in the middle-aged and older

This seems like a great test. If you cant stand up then your probably ****ed, whether you are fat or thin
              Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

It's just an opinion piece, Alby.

You're generally very good at ignoring other people's opinions. Let it go.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

However, in this study a composite score below 8 (that is, requiring more than one hand or knee support to sit and rise from the floor in a stable way) were associated with 2–5 fold higher death rates over the 6.3 year study period.

Im loving the fact that sitting and rising are predominantly legs and back exercises - just the ones that gym bunnys hate doing.

Live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse? If youre not working your legs and back then you will
                  Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Alby, what the hell is with your fitness obsession? If people want to become fat, that's a choice. Let them. It's not my business and it's not yours.

Besides which, fitness is just a means to an end, seriously. For the vast majority of people, they don't need to do any lifting heavier than their own body (i.e. push-ups, sit-ups, similar calisthenics) and go jogging every now and then. That will keep you perfectly healthy and isn't likely to cause injuries. And if you have a very physical job you will probably develop the necessary physical ability just by working that job.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                      Alby, what the hell is with your fitness obsession? If people want to become fat, that's a choice. Let them. It's not my business and it's not yours.
                      That isn't true. Fat people demands that all people shall pay to accomodate their need wether it's bigger seats in planes, beds in hospitals etc.
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

To quote Xenophon:

Because our city does not practice military training in public, that is no reason for neglecting it in private, but rather a reason for making it a foremost care. For be you assured that there is no contest of any sort, nor any transaction, in which you will be the worse off for being well prepared in body; and in fact there is nothing which men do for which the body is not a help....

It is a base thing for a man to wax old in careless self-neglect before he has lifted up his eyes and seen what manner of man he was made to be, in the full perfection of bodily strength and beauty. But these glories are withheld from him who is guilty of self-neglect, for they are not wont to blaze forth unbidden.
                        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

You're a 28 year old virgin, obviously you're not self-neglecting.
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

To quote Xenophon:
                            To quote Xenophon according to todays society is immensly stupid

Steven Weinberg

Comment

What is "metabolically healthy", and how is being fat not a factor in it? Also, "fit" is relative to the challenges faced towards some end. The most primal function of all life is to procreate, and so I would have to say that all virgins (sans Mary, Mother of Jesus) are by definition unfit. Indeed, Al is seemingly less fit than the fattest man who ever lived, Jon Minnoch, who was able to father 2 children.

(I am also similarly as unfit.)

Comment

Working...
                              X