Fizziks question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fizziks question

Can someone who is smarter than myself (no shortage there) kindly explain how this is supposed to work?

A group of Canadian scientists are working on a power plant that will use a controlled tornado to drive turbines, and they're calling it the Atmospheric Vortex Engine (AVE). Essentially, the AVE works by pulling hot, humid, low air into itself and creating a vortex - approximately the way a tornado works, this air makes a major temperature difference between the engine and the atmosphere above, making a vortex extending into the atmosphere. The finished plant would have a diameter of about 100 meters, and would produce 200 megawatts of electrical power. That's about the same as a traditional coal-fired fossil fuel plant. Comparably, the AVE wouldn't produce any carbon emissions and wouldn't require a fuel storage facility. It's estimated that the AVE would cost about 3 cents per kilowatt hour, which ranks it among the cheapest forms of energy.

The idea was created by an engineer named Louis Michaud from Western University, and is being funded by the Thiel Foundation. "The power of a tornado is undisputed," said Louis Michaud. "My work has established the principles by which we can control and exploit that power to provide clean energy on an unprecedented scale. With the funding from Breakout Labs, we are building a prototype in partnership with Lambton College to demonstrate the feasibility and safety of the atmospheric vortex engine."
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

You get your news from The Escapist?

Here:

Here's a picture:
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      You get your news from The Escapist?
      No, I was looking to see if I missed a new Zero Punctuation this week and stumbled across that.

Thanks for the link.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

The Escapist, pre-ZP, was iirc mainly known for its LARPing community. Avoid at all costs.

Comment

So basically it's an engine to extract a little bit more energy from the exhaust of another engine?
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I can sell big estates such as Big Ben, Effel tower etc.

Just send your credit card number and pin code and we will be in business
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

It's a tornado generator. What could possibly go wrong?
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                So basically it's an engine to extract a little bit more energy from the exhaust of another engine?
                Yes, it's a replacement for a cooling tower on a coal or gas-fired plant that doesn't waste all the heat.
                Graffiti in a public toilet
                Do not require skill or wit
                Among the **** we all are poets
                Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                  It's a tornado generator. What could possibly go wrong?
                  Maxim 14. "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

BTW, I am very disappointed that this isn't a discussion about the interactions of matter and energy in a bubbly beverage.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

"Bubbly" is a fun word.

Bubbly beverages
                      Bubbly women with bubbly breasts
                      bubbly bubbly bubbly

it's even fun to type
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                      X