Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do any of you regret spending a ton of money on your wedding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I looked into weddings a good amount the past couple years, but I was expecting to pay 10-15k. A couple of my sorority sisters make professional looking cakes, and another friend said they'd do all the picture stuff. I guess my dad will probably pay for it anyway, but neither me nor my current prospective husband care for an elaborate wedding. We'd rather go somewhere cool for the honeymoon, and save for the babies.

How many guests constitutes a "small" wedding? "large"?

Comment

I don't think I or my husband spent so very much on the wedding. That not worry as I got it all in divorse anyway.
      Medvedchik, mne nado tolko malinki nozh. Chik-chik :)

Comment

I'm getting married at a castle. All in the wedding is going to cost about $40k. It's worth it I feel.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

US or Canadian?
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

actually they are virtually the same these days aren't they.

That's about 60% more than what we spent.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Yep.
              And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Weddings are stupid and pointless. I'm determined to never go to one again in my life.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                  actually they are virtually the same these days aren't they.

That's about 60% more than what we spent.
                  It's great isn't it, dollars worldwide appear to be reaching parity, and even the Swiss have contrived to help me while I'm here:

Australian Dollar 0.95100
                  New Zealand Dollar 1.18670
                  Singapore Dollar 1.22170
                  Canadian Dollar 0.98520
                  Swiss Franc 0.9244
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                    Weddings are stupid and pointless. I'm determined to never go to one again in my life.
                    But some have open bars!

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                      My rule for the wedding (and fortunately, my wife's, also ) was that we wouldn't spend much on it, but if the parents wanted something and were willing to pay for it, we'd play along. That's what happened for us. The wedding is not for you, it's for your family - and often a status thing for one family to show the other how well off they are. Borrowing money for it, or spending money you otherwise have practical things you need it for, is stupid no matter how you look at it - just like owning a Porsche is stupid unless you have enough to not notice $100k missing from your bank account.
                      This is the first I heard a wedding is a status thing to show off how well one's family is doing. Geez. I don't understand why that matters. Who would care? Life goes on right? I agree with you about getting into debt for a wedding. It is plain and simple stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Supr49er View Post
                        We also went small and (relatively) inexpensive.
                        We saved the money for a really nice honeymoon instead - no regrets.
                        Beautiful! This is what I plan to do. Honeymoon lasts longer than a day and it's just the two of you so I think that's worth more.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                          Weddings should be nice enough that your wife doesn't hate you.

JM
                          A useful practical guide, lol.

I organised and paid for my own wedding because Mrs Horse came from OS. It was good and not too expensive.
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                          X