Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atheist claim: War is caused by religion if participants are religious.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
    I get it, you think Christianity deserves credit for wars you if you support them but shouldn't be blamed for wars you oppose.
    The only war of the last centuries I can think of that was fought because of christianity is the Spanish Civil war that Franco won against the Spanish Republic.
    I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
      Because you can't insist that something is the pure word of God, and then say it's actually not without having to do some pretty nifty theological footwork. You can make religion fit around pretty much anything, but religion does not suit change well.
      I'm sorry to tell you but the theory of evolution is not important to theology. I'm not aware of any theology concerning it. The Bible says that God created man from dust, which means that He alone created man. He created everything. There is no problem with believing that and believing in the theory of evolution.

That war isn't one I've got a huge grounding in, but everything I've read said it had to do with economics and some peoples desire for self determination. I'm genuinely puzzled by why you'd pin it on religion.
      I didn't claim that no wars were caused by religion. My claim is that WW1 and WW2 were not. I'm not going to go down any side streets.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Also kentonio, there is no problem with theology changing. It does, and there is no problem there.

Comment

If God can go from naughty to nice, then why can't religion?
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
            If God can go from naughty to nice, then why can't religion?
            God doesn't change, but religion does.

Comment

There are two schools of thought on this and both allow for God to change. 1. God is merely a creation of humans to explain lightning and other such ****. God, thus, evolves as societies mores do. 2. God is an omnipotent being capable of anything, including change. If God needs to change for whatever reason, she will.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

There are two schools of thought on this and both allow for God to change. 1. God is merely a creation of humans to explain lightning and other such ****. God, thus, evolves as societies mores do.
                What school of thought on earth thinks that God is a creation of humans to explain lightning?
                2. God is an omnipotent being capable of anything, including change. If God needs to change for whatever reason, she will.
                I didn't say that God couldn't change. Of course He can. I'm saying that there is no need for Him to change, since He is good and perfect.

Comment

God did change between the old and new testament. She did so knowingly and willingly.
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

God did change between the old and new testament. She did so knowingly and willingly.
                    People who think this quit reading the Bible before they came to the Book of Revelations.

Comment

You mean where God plans to change again?
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

You mean where God plans to change again?
                        Why do you think that He changes?

Comment

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. - John 1:1

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                            Christianity has had to move its position countless times. You're aware that bible literalism was pretty much universal for an awfully long time, right?
                            No, it wasn't. Especially when it comes to the sciences; St. Augustine spoke out very strongly against using the Bible against science, and he was before the fall of the Roman Empire. Really, Biblical literalism didn't come into play until quite recently, historically speaking--the past couple of centuries. I should know, that's one of my agnostic father's favorite ranting points.

Re: Hitchens, his revolting moral positions make it quite unnecessary to bash him for any weird historical opinions he might have had.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                              In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. - John 1:1
                              When did God transfigure from a word into a middle eastern carpenter?

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                                When did God transfigure from a word into a middle eastern carpenter?
                                You have a lot of trouble understanding the Bible. That's ok, so did I before I became a believer.

Comment

Working...
                                X