Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Self replicating machines using 3D printing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self replicating machines using 3D printing.

This is a cool Kickstarter project which has already reached its funding goal but which I thought I would share here. It is a 3D printer which is completely public domain so anyone can build it for ~$600 in raw materials but even better the machine can be used to make slightly smaller copies of itself and those machines can make 3rd generation slightly smaller copies of themselves. That way the 3D printer can be quickly and cheaply distributed across the world. The project also intends to have free over the internet designs with new members also uploading their designs free over the internet so anyone with a 3D printer can make what ever plastic objects they want just using cheap recycled plastic powder.

Now, I can already see some draw backs in that only people with computers can do this plus even though the raw materials are relatively cheap it will likely still be cheaper to just buy most items at the store rather than print them yourself as no one has repealed economies of scale but still it is a very interesting idea.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Slowpoke?
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Self replicating machines

Well, that's it for humanity folks. Last one out please turn off the lights.
      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

this iZ a thrade-of-the-year cKandidate based on the life-saving info cKontained within!
        Order of the Fly
        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Working...
        X