Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argo **** yourself!

Just got back from seeing Argo.

A nice little history lesson in why everyone hates the US, but this time with a happy ending...

9/10
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Everybody hates the US?
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

in MOBIUSland.

Though Argo was a good movie
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

mobius has been to my house
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Excellent movie, well directed by Affleck (though his acting is pretty wooden).
          Alan Arkin and John Goodman steal the show.

Highly recommended.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
            Everybody hates the US?
            Everybody!
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

It's based on a historical event. I can remember when it was announced that a few American embassy workers had managed to escape across the Iranian border with the help of a film company.

Don't you think the Iranian revolutionaries were being a bit a**hole-ish by imprisoning the entire embassy staff? Forgive me, perhaps I'm guilty of judging them by the western tradition of not punishing an entire group for the sins of a few members, or for the sins of someone else.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I thought the whole point of embassies was mutually assured hostages.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                  It's based on a historical event. I can remember when it was announced that a few American embassy workers had managed to escape across the Iranian border with the help of a film company.

Don't you think the Iranian revolutionaries were being a bit a**hole-ish by imprisoning the entire embassy staff? Forgive me, perhaps I'm guilty of judging them by the western tradition of not punishing an entire group for the sins of a few members, or for the sins of someone else.
                  Wait, are you suggesting that there was any aspect of the Iranian actions during the hostage crisis that was acceptable? That taking hostages at all might be okay? That it was somehow our fault? What the ****?

Comment

Is that so unbelievable to you?

Originally posted by Iranian hostage taker: 1979
                    "You have no right to complain, because you took our whole country hostage in 1953

Comment

There is no justification for taking over an embassy. None whatsoever. Dr. Strangelove's suggestion that some of the Americans were "sinners" who deserved to be held hostage is offensive and ridiculous.

Seriously Doc, what the hell is wrong with you?

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                        Wait, are you suggesting that there was any aspect of the Iranian actions during the hostage crisis that was acceptable? That taking hostages at all might be okay? That it was somehow our fault? What the ****?
                        How are your scores in "Reading Comprehension"? Please re-read the last paragraph of my post over and over until you finally understand it.

Comment

for the sins of a few members, or for the sins of someone else.
                          The US engineered the coup which overthrew the legitimately elected government of Iran and put the Shah in place. Afterwards the US supplied intelligence and military aid to keep him in place. I'm certain that no one in the embassy in 1979 had been involved in the original coup, which took place nearly 30 years before, but it's possible that some of the personnel had been involved in previously supplying the Shah's government with intelligence and other types of aid. It is afterall common procedure to include military and intelligence attaches amongst embassy personnel. It's also possible that the Carter administration had removed personnel involved in maintaining the Shah's regime, hence why I ended with the phrase "or for the sins of someone else."
                          Last edited by Dr Strangelove; November 10, 2012, 19:06.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                            There is no justification for taking over an embassy. None whatsoever. Dr. Strangelove's suggestion that some of the Americans were "sinners" who deserved to be held hostage is offensive and ridiculous.

Seriously Doc, what the hell is wrong with you?
                            Is there a justification for overthrowing another countries government to install a puppet regime?

*EDIT: Doh, should have read Docs reply before answering. Yeah, what he said.

Comment

None of the people in that embassy deserved to be held hostage. The hostage-taking was an illegal act which violated their diplomatic immunity. It was done by an islamofascist coup that overthrew a relatively benign government.

Your suggestion that what they did could have somehow been justified under any circumstances is wrong. It demonstrates your anti-American, self-loathing worldview, which is shameful.

Comment

Working...
                              X