Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Prepping.

Basic Prepping.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, you need to decide what level of trouble you want to prepare for. Take a look around your area, check it's history, with an eye towards what tends to go wrong, how bad it gets, and how often it happens. You need to balance this against the money, time, and space you are willing to invest. No sense in breaking your back or the bank for something that realistically can't happen.

Three days is the bare minimum you should have, which is enough for nuisance events, or to evacuate if the roads are good. One week is generally considered reasonable, and allows for larger disasters that hit a large area and mmay take time to rectify. Two weeks should cover anything up to but not including a TEOTWAWKI scenario, and gives you plenty of time to consider digging in or bugging out. It also gives you more to share, which can make you popular with the neighbors.

Water is probably most important. Thing are much easier when you have ready water, and there are many things that can kill your supply, from massive power outages or floodwaters that take out the water plant, to a burst main down the street.

You should store at least 2 gallons of potable water per person per day (for drinking, cooking, washing), and the same amount of non-potable water for grey water purposes (mainly flushing the toilet).

For food, pick things that store well, have little or no preparation, are reasonably nutricious, and are tasty. Remember that you may not be able to cook. Freeze dried items are great if you're out hiking and have access to clean water and a campstove, but they're pretty expensive and offer no advantage if you're digging in. I favor canned soups, myself (even cold!), but let your own taste be your guide. Keep an eye on calories, insuring that you have enough on hand per person per day to allow for days of repairs and cleanup.

Don't forget to rotate out your stores. Use that water and that food before it gets too old and buy fresh. As long as you're using, say, regular bottled water and canned goods you would be using anyway, it costs no more than usual, and just takes up some extra space under the counter, in the closet or down the basement.

In cold weather, hypothermia sets in a lot sooner than you would imagine, so it's good to be ready for cold nights in most parts of the planet. Camping gear serves well here, with cold weather sleeping bags, various body and hand warmers, and even tents. If you don't go camping and don't want to spend the money on speciallized gear, lots of blankets can do the job as well. Everyone should sleep in the same room if possible, so less space needs to be heated. In extreme cases, if you have a dome tent available, you can set it up in a room to reduce space even further.

More later, if anyone's interested.

edit: WHO THE HELL IS INSERTING SALES LINKS IN MY POST!?!?!
    Last edited by The Mad Monk; November 5, 2012, 18:18.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

FEMA recommends two weeks worth of non parishable food and water along with a pretty good list of every day items to be had on hand in case of a natural disaster. The doomsday preppers though often claim you need at least a two year supply of everything which is nutty as all get go and if you visit the various prepper forums they're almost always ranting filled with neo-Nazi types ranting about "the coming race war" and dreaming of rising mad max style from the supposed collapse of civilization. They're raving loons.

So to repeat, taking reasonable precautions like FEMA recommends = good and reasonable, cashing out your 401k to build a doom bunker filled with ramen noodles, spam, and ammo is nutjob nonsense. At the very best it is a serious misallocation of resources by ignoring likely events (getting old and needing retirement savings) to "prepare" for extremely unlikely events like the collapse of human civilization. I had a huge laugh at the dumb ****s on NatGeo's show Doomsday Preppers who spent so much on canned crap and weapons they failed to pay their mortgage and then got kicked out of their home. Many of the people into prepping really are mentally ill.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I take disasters as an opportunity to diet
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Ugh, preppy thread.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I always have 2 full bottles of scotch and some Capt'n Crunch, just in case. And a pipe to keep me warm.
          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

I charge up all my electronics and dump some food in a cooler, and pour water into some bottles in case the water treatment plant goes down.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Disaster preparedness: peanut butter doesn't go bad. If all else fails, I have my shotgun and 100 rounds of birdshot. Hunt pigeons for subsistence.

Comment

Hypothermia: prepared for by moving to the tropics
                Water: Fresh water source and a well that sometimes goes artesian and hasn't gone dry yet
                Food: I have more than 100sq ft of arable land (needs a couple months to be capable of feeding us though)
                Generator: could convert the petrol one we have over to hydro power with a bit of work
                Guns: severely lacking, though the kids know how to build PVC ones that shoot marbles
                Crazy: I have that in spades, but perhaps not the right kind

I thought Doomsday Preppers was going to be a good show ... good for laughing at the crazies and their relatively harmless eccentricities ... but after the guy shot his thumb off in the first episode I couldn't bear to watch further.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                  I thought Doomsday Preppers was going to be a good show ... good for laughing at the crazies and their relatively harmless eccentricities ... but after the guy shot his thumb off in the first episode I couldn't bear to watch further.
                  What's great is that these retards are going on national television and showing everyone where their compound/bunker/tilapia farms are.

I have a ****load of freeze dried food for camping/hiking, as well as a bunch of isobutane, so I'm good for several weeks. And of course the AR-15 and a couple thousand rounds.

(Cabelas.com had a sale)

I also have a portable CB radio, a backcountry gps that takes AAs, and plenty of paper maps. I'm actually consideirng getting my ham radio license.

Generally this is about as "prep" as I plan on getting. I live in a one bedroom apartment in Fairfax City, so no room for setting up a reloading table, for instance.
                  Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                    Yeah, the best part was how he kept claiming what an expert he was with firearms and how he was going to be the new mad max... And then he accidentally shot his own thumb off.

Comment

I just bludge off flat earthers
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Does that mean you bludgeon them to death?

Comment

if necessary I guess
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Some people have too much money and time on their hands.

Click image for larger version

Name:	truckwillsurvive1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	9094094

"Sometimes," author William S. Burroughs once said, "paranoia is just having all the facts." Given the facts gathered from the past few natural and man-made disasters, it's not a surprise that many people have begun to think of what they'd need to survive the next calamity. One California man has taken a kitchen-sink approach and created the Survivor Truck -- a machine that could keep rolling through any given Armageddon.

Jim DeLozier, who sells survival goods in Costa Mesa, Calif., says the idea of the Survivor Truck was to build the ultimate rolling outpost, one that could withstand even a nuclear attack. Starting with a Chevy C70 truck powered by 150-gallon tanks of gasoline or propane, DeRozier outfitted the chassis with every conceivable piece of equipment needed to travel through a disaster. "My goal was to build a vehicle that can go anywhere you want to go, stay as long as you want and drive back out," DeLozier says.

On the outside, the truck gets bulletproof shielding, a filtration system to keep chemical agents out of the cabin and even a coating of pickup truck bedliner. Night vision helps keep watch on what's happening when the lights go out, while a solar generator can provide power for the array of communications gear during daylight hours. On the inside, there's enough water, food, toilets and battery power to keep a group of people not just alive but comfortable for months amidst chaos. If parked in the wilderness, the top platform includes a complete camping unit and inflatable raft, along with a water purification system; if there's some need for an aggressive response, the truck has a protected sniper's cage and a backup crossbow and arrows.

While DeLozier says he originally conceived the truck as the ultimate survivalist driving machine -- with a price that runs between $100,000 and $600,000 -- he's received more interest from military and law enforcement agencies mulling a rolling command center. He says he's somewhat surprised by the attention his concept has received, "whether it's the zombie apocalypse fad or whether people believe they have a potential need....it's designed to be a home away from home." Given how many people have seen their homes washed away or destroyed in recent years, it's no wonder there's some demand for something that could outrun trouble.

Comment

There is a fancier version that is going for $700,000
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                              X