Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
    This is glorious.
    The Koch brothers will drop two lawsuits they had brought to gain greater control over the institute’s board. In exchange, the Cato Institute agreed that its longtime chief executive will retire.

The Kochs took control of CATO some time ago.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
      What was wrong with four terms? It was clearly the will of the people to keep electing FDR instead of having to suffer under another Republican administration.
      Why don't you ask the voters who, as soon as he was no longer up for reelection, amended the Constitution to prevent it from ever happening again?

Comment

No, if you truly believe in democracy the Constitution should be amended by national referendums.
        You have a poor understanding of democracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
          Why don't you ask the voters who, as soon as he was no longer up for reelection, amended the Constitution to prevent it from ever happening again?
          The voters in Congress and the state legislatures? It wouldn't have been the first time they enacted a stupid amendment.

You have a poor understanding of democracy.
          A referendum is pretty much democratic by definition while the House of Representatives doesn't necessarily give a majority to the party that has a majority of the votes.

Comment

The voters in Congress and the state legislatures? It wouldn't have been the first time they enacted a stupid amendment.
            It was clearly the will of the people, since they elected those representatives!

A referendum is pretty much democratic by definition while the House of Representatives doesn't necessarily give a majority to the party that has a majority of the votes.
            As I said, you have a poor understanding of democracy.

Inasmuch as you are defining democracy to mean "majority rule", your statements are correct but semantically empty. Inasmuch as you are using democracy to refer to a general collection of social structures to which we attach positive affect, your statements are questionable at best.

Comment

It was clearly the will of the people, since they elected those representatives!
              There probably weren't very many basing their votes for representatives on a desire for presidential term limits.

As I said, you have a poor understanding of democracy.

Inasmuch as you are defining democracy to mean "majority rule", your statements are correct but semantically empty. Inasmuch as you are using democracy to refer to a general collection of social structures to which we attach positive affect, your statements are questionable at best.
              Then I have no idea what regexcellent was going on about when he said that if you really care about democracy you should give the House of Representatives the power to amend the constitution by simple majority.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ach-agreement/

The Kochs took control of CATO some time ago.
                That's not why I was laughing. I know the Kochs donate to CATO. That said, since the Koch brothers and CATO have basically aligned interests, it's unlikely that CATO is influenced in a particular direction by the Koch brothers.

It's the way in which you worded that, like anything supported by the Koch brothers is inherently evil, as if the Koch brothers themselves are evil.

Comment

He's channeling the right wing's obsession a few years ago with George Soros.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Yes, that's an equally dumb meme. But I think Oerdin actually believes the Koch brothers crap.

Comment

Then I have no idea what regexcellent was going on about when he said that if you really care about democracy you should give the House of Representatives the power to amend the constitution by simple majority.
                      Of course you don't understand it; we already know you don't understand the different between normative and descriptive uses of the word.

Comment

Of course you don't understand it; we already know you don't understand the different between normative and descriptive uses of the word.
                        Hmm... nope, I think you have the meaning of the word wrong and I'm not really eager to discuss semantics any further.

Comment

Working...
                        X