No announcement yet.

State of emergency? Ha ha, what's that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of emergency? Ha ha, what's that?

The city of Rochester and surrounding Monroe County, as well as the State of New York, are all in a state of emergency and the governor has activated units of the National Guard. My power has been flickering on and off for the past hour. RIT remains open and classes are not canceled.

And you're going? Sucker.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

How come California never seems to get hit by hurricanes? Just wondering.

Comment

Hurricanes only happen in the Atlantic. When they occur in the Pacific they are called cyclones. Southern California and the Mexican state of Baja California get hit with cyclones occasionally.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Typhoons. Cyclone is a tornado.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

nvm
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Hoping all Polytubbies on the East Coast are OK and will check in when they can.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                There are two reasons why tropical cyclones rarely strike California: sea surface temperatures, and the usual upper level steering winds in the eastern Pacific, with sea surface temperature being the most important.

Tropical cyclones usually require very warm water to depth, generally above 26.5 °C (80 °F) extending to a depth of 50 metres (160 ft).[3]

The waters off California are cold even in summer. They rarely rise above 24 °C (75 °F) in near-shore southern California,[4] and usually don't get above 17 °C (63 °F) along most of the rest of the coast and outer coastal waters, although El Niño events may warm the waters somewhat. This is due primarily to the extensive upwelling of colder sub-surface waters caused by the prevailing northwesterly winds acting through the Ekman Effect. The winds drive surface water to the right of the wind flow, that is offshore, which draws water up from below to replace it. The upwelling further cools the already cool California Current which runs north to south along coastal California and even much of coastal Baja California. This is the same mechanism which produces coastal California's characteristic fog.

The second reason is the general path of tropical cyclones in the eastern Pacific. They generally move north-westward or westward due to steering by the prevailing upper level winds, which takes them far out to sea and away from land.[4]

These factors make eastern Pacific landfalls improbable north of about central Baja California. In those instances when upper level steering winds do allow a more northerly path, much cooler sea surface temperatures quickly weaken tropical cyclones that approach California, although torrential rainfall can still occur. For example, the September 24-hour rainfall record for Los Angeles is held by the 1939 Long Beach Tropical Storm, as of January 2007.[5]
                I googled for you.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  Hurricanes only happen in the Atlantic. When they occur in the Pacific they are called cyclones. Southern California and the Mexican state of Baja California get hit with cyclones occasionally.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                    Hoping all Polytubbies on the East Coast are OK and will check in when they can.
                    Doing fine. Sandy passed by last night; I think some nearby roads are flooded but we never lost power or even satellite. I just missed a day of work. Might miss work today too, depending on whether the roads cleared. Eh. We'll sort it out.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                      Clearly California is beloved of God while the south Atlantic in particular is full of heathens and apostates.
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                        Doing fine.

I'm a long way from the centre of the storm yet the winds here were crazy.
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Power didn't go out, local low-lying roads are flooded. Apparently the June derecho knocked down the weak trees already so not as much came down this time.
                          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

We just sat around inside watching the ridiculous Star Trek remake. It really does take a second viewing to understand all the many, many things that make no damned sense about that movie.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

There was no remake, there is no JJ Abrams.
                              Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Working...
                              X