Is it time for SMAC II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firaxis and EA I think.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Yeah, BHG never had any interest in the game. EA owns the rights to SMAC - it's not a split, they actually own them entirely, as far as I understand it (see http://www.firaxis.com/company/faq.php#3 ). BHG didn't exist until after Brian and Tim left Firaxis in the middle of Civ3 development.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I'd be careful about calling Civ5 a debacle, by the way. It's sold well over a million units, which is not small change. Even if the developer only made $10 per copy off that (after 2K's distribution wing's take and retail's take), that's $10MM for ~4 years operation. I imagine they would rather be in the 3MM copy sales range, like Civ4, but 1.2MM or so (what I could find easily) is not half bad. At least enough to ensure they make Civ6, which is all that's important, right?

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
          Yeah, BHG never had any interest in the game. EA owns the rights to SMAC - it's not a split, they actually own them entirely, as far as I understand it (see http://www.firaxis.com/company/faq.php#3 ). BHG didn't exist until after Brian and Tim left Firaxis in the middle of Civ3 development.
          I missed that. So since Firaxis is now owned by 2K, it's never going to happen. :/
          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

We only have to wait for EA to go bust, which is another five years out. Not too bad.
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
              I missed that. So since Firaxis is now owned by 2K, it's never going to happen. :/
              Well, two ways it could happen:
              1. Sid buys back Firaxis, then goes over to EA.
              2. Sid leaves and starts his own (third) company (just like Firaxis was started after he left Microprose).

But since he's getting up in age, he probably won't. Though I suppose EA is holding onto relatively worthless rights if they're not going to make a sequel, so perhaps they'd eventually be willing to sell them for a reasonable fee?

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
                We only have to wait for EA to go bust, which is another five years out. Not too bad.
                Or wait for the inevitable EA-2K supermerger... is that the one time geeks everywhere would cheer for the merger of the two largest game studios (if it reunited Sid with SMAC rights)?

Comment

Well they have been downsizing for years and made about 70 measly millions on 4bn sales last year, they need a turnaround if they still want to be around in five years, and with the current management I can really see them going out of business, or more accurately being taken over by someone, perhaps Take 2, keep most of the franchises and fire the whole management team.
                  Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Erm, Take 2 is in far worse shape than EA...

Comment

Well they are making about the same money on 4x less revenue and despite of Civ V being what it is, let's wait for GTA5, Bioshock Infinite to fund the takover of EA and hope for SMAC II

Comment

A year or so ago they were vaguely talking about bankruptcy. EA might make less profit, but the fact that they have all that revenue puts them in a lot safer position financially...

Comment

Hey, we have to have an unplausible scenario to cling our hope onto right?

Comment

Working...
                          X