Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do sports writers not write chronologically?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do sports writers not write chronologically?

Is there a reason for that?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

YOU

Comment

You already know the final score, so why are you trying to maintain the illusion of linear time?
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Alby is just desperate to say something absurd.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          Is there a reason for that?

Yes.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

So no one's going to give me a serious answer? I've wondered this for years.
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Can you not just think it through for yourself? It's blindingly obvious.

People want a summary of the story or the major talking points in the first couple of paragaphs. So the story will start with "A straightforward win for the home team was marred by the serious injury to the star player at the end of the game". Rather than describing the first tedious hour in detail and leaving all the meat of the story to the end.
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

Pyramid writing. It's journalism 101. I know: I did journalism 101 (or the equivalent thereof).

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

It should be obvious even if you didn't study it.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

On the day after the elections they're not going to make the first paragraph about the republican primary and the last one about who won the general election. Same concept.

Comment

"Our story begins with the drafting of the Constitution in 1787 and concludes with the thrilling results on November 6, 2012..."
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                      X