Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• massive tax cut will jumpstart economic growth

North Korea 'to allow farmers to keep half their produce'

North Korea plans to allow farmers to keep as much as half of their produce in an attempt to boost agricultural output, it has been claimed, in a move that would be a major economic reform for the beleaguered country.

The move to liberalise agriculture under Kim Jong-un, who succeeded his father in December last year, would reverse a crackdown on private production that started in 2005.

The claim by the Reuters news agency comes amid suggestions that Mr Kim is considering reforms to boost the impoverished state's economy.

"Peasants will have incentive to grow more food. They can keep and sell in the market about 30-50 percent of their harvest depending on the region," said the source.

At present, most farm output is sold to the government at a state auction price that has diverged from the market rate.

It was impossible to verify the plan independently in North Korea, one of the world's most closed states, although the source has proved reliable in the past, predicting North Korea's first nuclear test in 2006 days before it was conducted, as well as the ascent of Kim's uncle, Jang Song-thaek.

The plans come as some websites run by North Korean defector groups have said the price of rice - a staple food - more than doubled at the end of August from the start of June.

The surge in rice prices, cited by DailyNK, a North Korean defector website, was driven by a fear of economic reforms that could in fact be punitive, like a 2009 currency revaluation that confiscated most peoples' savings. This report also could not be independently verified.

North Korea experienced a devastating famine in the 1990s from which its economy has not recovered, and a third of its population is malnourished, according to U.N. estimates. The country needs about 5 million tons of grain and potatoes to feed its people and since the early 1990s its annual harvest has been 3.5-4.7 million tons, according to most observers.

Experts in South Korea believe the North desperately needs fertiliser to boost yields in a country where soil has been degraded by erosion due to poor farming techniques.

A recent visit to Beijing, North Korea's sole major economic and diplomatic ally, by the youngest Kim's uncle Jang appeared to be aimed at economic reforms in North Korea, whose centrally planned economy is smaller than it was 20 years ago.

North Korea wants to attract Chinese investment to help it overcome tough sanctions imposed in retaliation for its nuclear tests. Kim also aims to deliver on a promise to make the North a "prosperous" nation by 2012 and to banish memories of his father's austere 17-year rule.

But it is unclear how far Mr Kim can go in liberalising the economy without losing his family's firm grip on power, most independent analysts say.

The source said a Sept. 25 meeting of the Supreme People's Assembly, the North's rubber-stamp parliament, was likely to discuss "economic adjustment", but was unlikely to result in any major steps forward.

The phrase "economic adjustment" has been chosen carefully, the source added, noting the North's decision not to use the old catchcry of its key ally, China - "reform and opening up" - should not be misinterpreted as a lack of reformist will.
    Instead, the source said, North Korea was indeed trying to follow in the footsteps of China but was avoiding the phrase coined by Beijing because of an unfortunate quirk of the Korean language. "It won't be called 'reform and opening up' because it sounds like 'dog fart' in Korean," the source said.

This is the second time this year that the parliament, which rarely meets, has been assembled this year, triggering speculation in the North Korea-watching community that it could be a forum for announcing major reforms.

The source said North Korea also planned to make its 1.2 million-strong military - one of the largest armed forces in the world - food self-reliant by modelling its production model on China's armed forces.

"The food (shortage) problem will hopefully be resolved by learning from the Xinjiang Construction and Production Corps," the source said, referring to the sprawling quasi-military network of state farms and factories in northwestern China intended to secure stability in the restive region by developing the economy and helping control borderlands.

The Xinjiang corps was founded in 1954 by late vice president Wang Zhen. As of March 2011, more than 2.6 million people lived in the corps' 14 divisions, which cover a combined area of more than 27,000 sq miles. The corps owns 179 farms, 1,400 enterprises, 13 listed companies, universities, media outlets and medical institutions, and its output was worth 75 billion yuan ($11.9 billion) in 2010.

North Korea's military also has significant economic interests and its armed forces are required in part to feed themselves as transport and a central distribution system have broken down, while fuel is in short supply.

The armed forces also have little to do, experts say, to occupy their time, and so farming is encouraged and praised in visits by Kim Jong-un and by his father Kim Jong-il, whose "field guidance" advice trips were a staple of North Korean state media reports.

The source said boosting the army's food self-reliance would not be a major change in North Korea's "military first" policy. "Hopefully, the military will become (food) self-reliant. It will be given land to grow its own rice and vegetables."
    North Korea plans to allow farmers to keep as much as half of their produce in an attempt to boost agricultural output, it has been claimed, in a move that would be a major economic reform for the beleaguered country.

This is more or less a cut in MTRs from 100% to 50%. Tax cuts

But wait! Didn't MRT already debunk this? Stupid conservatives. http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/2...res-of-america

To quote MRT:
    Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
    Youre idiotic. Dont let new infornation phase your core beliefs and instead attack it. Youre like some close minded fundamentalist
    QFT!!!!
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Wait...are the two of you admitting that the US = North Korea?
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Isn't that the current GOP line - that Obama will turn us into North Korea?
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

No, MRT made the ludicrous suggestion that tax cuts don't lead to economic growth based on the data of an ex post facto study. This is proof that in fact there is a point at which tax cuts do lead to economic growth.

xpost
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Strictly speaking said tax cuts, and thus said growth hasn't happened yet, so it's not exactly proof, is it?
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

For the record, I have no idea what HC is talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                For the record, I have no idea what HC is talking about.
                Does anyone?
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

He mad.
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Cutting MTRs from 100% to 50%

Paul Krugman would approve of this.

Comment

Unless it were proposed by Paul Ryan.

Comment

This is nothing new. NK has already tried market reforms in the past. They aren't the solution.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

What is the solution?
                          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar View Post
                            What is the solution?
                            There might not be, but the first thing should be peace so that they can drastically decrease their military expenditures and trade more freely with SK.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

But the South Koreans are richer, and therefore likely to exploit them. Also, free trade destroys jobs. As do reductions in government spending.
                              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X