No announcement yet.

"Innocence of Muslims" Filmmaker Likely Doesn't Exist, Film May Not Exist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Salman Rushdie has said he does not think his 1988 novel The Satanic Verses would be published today because of a climate of "fear and nervousness".

The writer said the banning of his book in many countries and the subsequent threats on his life had created a "long-term chilling effect".

"A book which was critical of Islam would be difficult to be published now," he told the BBC's Will Gompertz.

He said the only way to solve the issue was for publishers to "be braver".

"The only way of living in a free society is to feel that you have the right to say and do stuff," he said.

Many Muslims regard The Satanic Verses as blasphemous, and the book is still banned in India.

The 65-year-old writer lived in hiding for many years after Iran's Ayatollah Khomeini issued a fatwa calling for his execution.

Sir Salman said writers were still being attacked for their works in the same way, in Muslim countries including Turkey, Egypt, Algeria and Iran.

Sir Salman said writers and publishers needed to 'be braver'
    "If you look at the way in which free expression is being attacked by religious extremism, the things of which these people are accused is always the same - it's blasphemy, heresy, insult, offence - it's this medieval vocabulary.

"We're in a difficult place because there's a lot of fear and nervousness around."

He pointed out that, as recently as last week, Channel 4 had cancelled a screening of its documentary, Islam: The Untold Story, following security threats.

"The fact a documentary about Islam can be pulled because someone is worried about the consequences is an indication of that," he said.

However, the author said he noted that, on the 20th anniversary of the fatwa, many who had arranged protests against him told newspapers they thought their actions had been a mistake.

"Some of them seemed to accept the free speech argument and understood if they had the right to say what they felt, it was wrong to prevent people who felt differently from having their say," he said.

"If that's right, then maybe we can emerge from a climate of fear."

The writer is set to release his memoirs, entitled Joseph Anton - the name he used while in hiding, and a reference to his favourite authors Conrad and Chekhov - which tell of how he was forced underground in 1989 over his book.

British author Sir Salman Rushdie says he does not think his 1988 novel The Satanic Verses would be published today because of a climate of "fear and nervousness".
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• I'm not saying carnage is acceptable; we're talking two different languages here. I'm saying unintentional carnage caused as a side-effect of a generally benevolent endeavor is much better than carnage deliberately provoked for no other or better reason than provocation. I suppose we should just drop Rushdie since I don't know the first thing about the book that got him in trouble.

Also, painting all the people involved as "fanatics" is seriously oversimplifying things. They have a long, bitter history with the Western world, and Islam is basically the only thing that's ever seemed to care about them. It's mostly clerics and their hangers-on who care for their widows and orphans over there. The U.S. has, for decades, only come into their lives by propping up their dictators and supporting Israel. Naturally, they identify with the clerics, and listen when the clerics get angry over something. And yes, some of them are just fanatics, I'm sure. But if Ken's treating the whole Muslim world like children, he's not the only one.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• But as we have seen from the recent Benghazi incident it is the extremists (fanatics) we are really dealing with. I'm convinced the fanatics will find a reason, any reason, to be outraged despite how softly we walk on eggshells.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• The trolls in the west and the fanatics in the middle east need one another. It's like Ben and Asher.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
            But as we have seen from the recent Benghazi incident it is the extremists (fanatics) we are really dealing with. I'm convinced the fanatics will find a reason, any reason, to be outraged despite how softly we walk on eggshells.
            I don't know that we can say that. The people who murdered the ambassador, certainly. But I'm guessing a large number of the protesters in Egypt, etc., are ignorant, illiterate, but basically ordinary people who trust the clerics because for ages there's been nobody else worth trusting in their lives.
            1011 1100

Comment

But as we have seen from the recent Benghazi incident it is the extremists (fanatics) we are really dealing with. I'm convinced the fanatics will find a reason, any reason, to be outraged despite how softly we walk on eggshells.
              That's like saying someone would be offended if I didn't say hello so I'll piss on their mother's grave.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                I don't know that we can say that. The people who murdered the ambassador, certainly. But I'm guessing a large number of the protesters in Egypt, etc., are ignorant, illiterate, but basically ordinary people who trust the clerics because for ages there's been nobody else worth trusting in their lives.
                I don't have a problem with protesters. Power to them. It's the violent protesters I'm concerned with.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                  That's like saying someone would be offended if I didn't say hello so I'll piss on their mothers grave.

How is your mother? Doing well? Have you called her lately? :concerned:

Comment

How is your mother? Doing well? Have you called her lately? :concerned:
                    Good show. Good troll. Keep it up.

Comment

• Kid, I just finished two tough days at work and am in full unwinding mode.

I can joke/chat with you for hours but you will get nothing more serious than that.

If I may ask... What city are you in/near?

Comment

Kid, I just finished two tough days at work and am in full unwinding mode.

I can joke/chat with you for hours but you will get nothing more serious than that.

If I may ask... What city are you in/near?
                        You might try being a bit more civil if you want to chat.

Comment

• Says the man who has done nothing but call me a troll since arriving in the thread.

Want to see uncivil?

Go **** yourself.

Comment

I don't have a problem with protesters. Power to them. It's the violent protesters I'm concerned with.
                            Fair enough, but (and I know you're feeling mellow, respond later if you like) I think the factors which keep protests in the U.S. peaceful are simply not found over there. For one thing, if our protesters get out of hand, they know the tear gas, tasers and batons are on standby. Protests are generally announced and permits and such applied for, and it's all very orderly. We're taught to revere Gandhi and MLK and there's this whole ideological apparatus dedicated to the idea that protests are simply an elaborate way of registering a complaint. It's a right we can't be denied, and honestly we tend to make it something of a joke as a consequence--our protesters dress up in stupid hats and do street theater with bongo drums and crap. There's no risk in it, so we make a game out of it. The only demonstrations that have really turned ugly since Rodney King (IIRC) are the G8/anti-globalization protests, which are done by a whole subculture that believes in acting like a nutter in the name of freedom. Everybody else does watered-down civil disobedience and occasionally resists arrest.

Contrast the Muslim/Arab world. The police are generally ready to respond quite harshly, except when they side with the protesters. Here, I think, they generally do. If there were cops or militias present to keep order, I'm betting they were mostly either shouting along or wishing they dared to. More than that, protests have never been an inalienable right over there; Mubarak got the boot in Egypt after massive protests. Why? Because when protests are generally illegal, every protest is by default a gathering of people prepared to break the law, so there's an implicit threat involved. The message is not "we're here to exercise our rights and speak our piece" so much as "there are a lot of us, we're angry, so take the hint, mother****er." And, of course, there may well have been instigators in the crowd too. Once somebody starts chucking rocks, things begin moving really quickly.
                            1011 1100

Comment

• Double the posting, double the fun!

...or not.
                              1011 1100

Comment

• LOS ANGELES, Calif. - A federal judge has determined that a California man behind a crudely produced anti-Islamic video that inflamed parts of the Middle East is a flight risk and ordered him detained.

Citing a lengthy pattern of deception, U.S. Central District Chief Magistrate Judge Suzanne Segal said Thursday that Nakoula Basseley Nakoula should be held after officials said he violated his probation from a 2010 check fraud conviction.

"The court has a lack of trust in this defendant at this time," Segal said.

Nakoula, 55, was arrested Thursday. He had eight probation violations, including lying to his probation officers and using aliases, and he might face new charges that carry a maximum two-year prison term, authorities said. Nakoula will remain behind bars until another hearing where a judge will rule if he broke the terms of his probation.
                                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Working...
                                X