I must have this castle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I must have this castle!

Check out the photos on this site. Talk about a unique American home.

Visit Castello di Amorosa, a medieval-style Tuscan castle winery located in Calistoga, Napa Valley. Explore our wines and book a wine tasting tour today!

The multimillionaire owner wanted to own a castle on his Napa Valley vineyard so he spent 14 years and tens of millions of dollars having a castle built using traditional medieval methods and architectural styles. The castle itself is basically just his home while a separate building, stylized after a medieval monastery, is where the actual wine making occurs and where they press their own estate olive oil. God damn it, I want, I want, I want. :desire:

The original medieval style artwork in the great hall is pretty damn kick ass too. Look at the one piece oak beams supporting the ceiling as well. That **** must have been expensive as ****.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

STORM THE WALLS! FIRST MAN TO SEIZE THE BATTLEMENTS IS A BARON!!!
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

So, this is the kind of needless consumption I think Jaguar would like to shift taxes towards :P
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Needless? Why you could survive the zombie apocalypse in that thing and just think of all the booze you could store in the seven acres of underground wine cellars. Heaven is what I call it.

Comment

Too much. It's impressive, but wouldn't be for me, no matter my worth.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
            Needless? Why you could survive the zombie apocalypse in that thing and just think of all the booze you could store in the seven acres of underground wine cellars. Heaven is what I call it.
            Why not just buy an uninhabited Pacific island?

Comment

There you go.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Is this an actual castle built of stone or is it built using some modern method with a siding that imitates stone?
                Quendelie axan!

Comment

Actual castle made of stone
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

If he used traditional medieval methods, does that mean he had serfs doing the heavy labor, and threw their bodies into the moat if they died?
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

illegal immigrants = serfs
                      stuffed in chippers and used as vineyard fertilizer = threw in the moat

otherwise, everything else was historically accurate.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                        Why not just buy an uninhabited Pacific island?
                        It just wouldn't be as cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
                          Is this an actual castle built of stone or is it built using some modern method with a siding that imitates stone?
                          He brought in a bunch of stone masons from Italy and guys from Denmark and Austria who specialized in Medieval architecture. He insisted that as much as possible it be built using medieval methods though, this being California, I'm sure the building inspectors insisted on all sorts of modern changes to meet the building code.

Comment

I can understand wanting it to look like a real castle, but making it using traditional methods just sounds retarded. Way to piss away a ton of cash that could have been spent on cool things like heraldic banners and guards in armour.

Comment

Agreed. Also, I would much rather have a medieval style castle made out of modern building materials such as steel-reinforced concrete. Sturdiness

Comment

Working...
                              X