Catholic Priest Blames Child Victims for Sex Abuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catholic Priest Blames Child Victims for Sex Abuse

A New York Priest publicly suggested on Monday that child victims of sexual abuse seduced their abusers, using the remarks as a launching pad to defend convicted child predator and Penn State football Coach Jerry Sandusky.

Father Benedict Groeschel, the director of the Office for Spiritual Development for the Catholic Archdiocese of New York, wrote an opinion piece for the National Catholic Register (which has since been taken down and replaced with several apologies) calling Sandusky a “poor guy” and blaming the victims of sexual abuse. Andrew Sullivan has the remarks:

People have this picture in their minds of a person planning to — a psychopath. But that’s not the case. Suppose you have a man having a nervous breakdown, and a youngster comes after him. A lot of the cases, the youngster — 14, 16, 18 — is the seducer … It’s not so hard to see — a kid looking for a father and didn’t have his own — and they won’t be planning to get into heavy-duty sex, but almost romantic, embracing, kissing, perhaps sleeping but not having intercourse or anything like that.

It’s an understandable thing …

Here’s this poor guy — [Penn State football coach Jerry] Sandusky — it went on for years. Interesting: Why didn’t anyone say anything? Apparently, a number of kids knew about it and didn’t break the ice.
    Would you care to respond, Ben?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Poor priests

Hunted by sexual predators...
    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Sounds like an idiot.
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

This guy is an idiot. It clearly must have been legitimate molestation, because none of the boys molested allowed themselves to get pregnant.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
          This guy is an idiot. It clearly must have been legitimate molestation, because none of the boys molested allowed themselves to get pregnant.
          I think boy's bodies have a natural defence against that - lack of a vagina.
          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

I think you are very smart.
            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

It was a big shock this priest said this. He was widely respected.
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Jerry and the priest need to spend some time together is a cell to find out who comes on top.
                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                  It was a big shock this priest said this. He was widely respected.
                  All in all his vehement defense of child abusers make me think,
                  that it would be advisable to look into Father Groeschels own past,
                  to check if there may be potential cases of child abuse
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                    "The free market will sort it out."
                    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Working...
                    X