Blood and Guts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood and Guts

So, I started donating blood again a few years ago. I was a blood donor from 1977 to the late 1980s, then in the early 90s wasn't allowed to donate blood for about 15 years because I had eaten beef in Englandia during one of its 'mad cow' scares.

I'm also a registered organ donor. When my dad died many years ago, I know his eyes and kidneys were transplanted. When a friend of mine's teenaged son died accidentally several years ago, many of his organs, including a lung, were donated.

So, who here is a blood donor? I assume by some posts that some of you would be disqualified for daily heavy drug use.

Do some of you not give for religious reasons?

Is anyone else here a registered organ donor? If not, why not?

BTW, as a Canadian, I do not get payed for any of this.
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

I need to get organ donor taken off my driver's license. My body needs to be intact for the whole cryonic storage thing.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I'm an organ donor, but I can't be a blood donor due to a medical condition. (It's odd, because I donated for years until out of nowhere they decided that the medical condition disqualifies you, and nobody has been able to explain why they decided that it disqualifies you. Oh well.)

White males are actually supposed to donate blood, since there's a chance that they have a medical condition that causes them to build up iron in their organs, and donating blood reduces the amount of iron in your blood. (Women menstruate and so they don't need to worry about iron buildup, and non-whites probably don't have the condition since it was inadvertently developed by Europeans as a way to combat the bubonic plague.)
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
        I'm an organ donor, but I can't be a blood donor due to a medical condition. (It's odd, because I donated for years until out of nowhere they decided that the medical condition disqualifies you, and nobody has been able to explain why they decided that it disqualifies you. Oh well.)
        The 'eating beef in England' thing was similar. There was 'mad cow' disease in Canada and the US around the same time; however, eating Canadian or American beef didn't disqualify you! (They probably realized that would eliminate 90%+ of their donors.)

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
        White males are actually supposed to donate blood, since there's a chance that they have a medical condition that causes them to build up iron in their organs, and donating blood reduces the amount of iron in your blood. (Women menstruate and so they don't need to worry about iron buildup, and non-whites probably don't have the condition since it was inadvertently developed by Europeans as a way to combat the bubonic plague.)
        Funny thing - about 3 years ago I read (or saw on tv) that tests (in England, iirc) showed donating blood every 2-3 months also reduces cholesterol, reduces blood pressure and prevents adult onset diabetes - this also makes sense. All my negative indicators have dropped in the last 2 years, without change of diet or exercise, so at this point, I'm donating every couple of months for my health.

Just to add a touch of paranoia - I suspect the major pharmaceutical companies got wind of the health benefits of donating blood, they blocked all further research or discussion.
        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

It's in the interests of the Red Cross and other organizations to encourage blood donations, but the pharmaceutical companies can probably outspend the Red Cross et al by a few orders of magnitude.
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I don't donate blood anymore. I tried 2 years after being diagnosed Type 1 diabetic and that laid me up for a few days. Very hard to regulate blood sugar when you don't have the same amount of blood as normal.

Comment

yep same as h tower. tried it once and it wasn't pretty.
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I tend to end up on a crash trolley. Or at least I did, I haven't been for over five years. I ought to go and try again...
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I donate when I can, but blood drives are usually on the weekdays from 9 to 5.
                  "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

my blood is worth bottling but the red tape is daunting
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                      my blood is worth bottling but the red tape is daunting
                      What regulations are there in paradise?

In Canada, they ask you a list of about 40 questions every time you give blood. Once you've done it a few times, the questions become rather silly. The one that I always have them repeat involves needles and drugs. I've never used a needle, and take a few days off both Asprin 81 and other stuff before I donate. There are no questions about pot or alcohol.

Comment

I refuse to donate blood to a company that is going to make an outrageous profit on it.

I've never seen a Red Cross blood drive here.

ACK!
                        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I've tried to donate a couple of times Sparky but the screening means coming back and I usually can't
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Blood + Organ donor.

My sister wouldn't be alive without donors so I see it as my way to say thanks.

BTW, I feel everybody should automatically be organ donor when they die if medical conditions allow for it of course.
                            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
                              I refuse to donate blood to a company that is going to make an outrageous profit on it.

I've never seen a Red Cross blood drive here.

ACK!
                              This is a given of course !!!
                              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Working...
                              X