Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Legal System... how does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Legal System... how does it work?

Anetta Johns bolted from a courtroom last week after a judge handed the minimum sentence to the man who shot her 2- and 8-year-old sons while firing at another man on a Southwest Philadelphia sidewalk in 2010.

Anetta Johns bolted from a courtroom last week after a judge handed the minimum sentence to the man who shot her 2- and 8-year-old sons while firing at another man on a Southwest Philadelphia sidewalk in 2010.

"I don't think it's fair. Five to 10 years for shooting kids?" Johns, 26, told the Daily News last week.

She was not alone in her outrage that gunman Kevin Pickard, 26, who was on probation at the time of the shootings, got such a light sentence from Common Pleas Judge Lisette Shirdan-Harris.

Assistant District Attorney Bill Davis - who asked that Pickard get 32 1/2to 65 years behind bars - left court calling the sentence "ridiculous," and said he would ask Shirdan-Harris to reconsider.

On Friday, the judge did just that.

Speaking before a courtroom packed beyond capacity with angered cops, civic leaders and regular community folks, Shirdan-Harris slapped Pickard with a new prison term of 17 to 34 years after reconsidering the gravity of Pickard's actions and the "severe and life-altering" impact they had on his victims.
    Can a judge do that? Should a judge bend to public pressure? Our judges in Philadelphia are elected.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Elected judges are a horrible system. And no, judges should not cave to public pressure.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Only five years for shooting a couple kids? Should it ever be my misfortune to have to shoot a small child, I hope my trial is in Philly.
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...shot_kids.html

Can a judge do that? Should a judge bend to public pressure? Our judges in Philadelphia are elected.
        Maybe the judge made a completely ridiculous ruling and after this was pointed out she recognized the error and corrected it? I don't think this is such a big deal.

Comment

I learned everything I needed to about the case from just that one paragraph and believe the shooter should be facing life imprisonment in federal pound me in the ass prison.

Comment

Federal prisons usually have less asspounding than state prisons iirc. For one, they are better funded, so the guards are somewhat more competent (bear in mind that prison guards are the people who aren't smart enough to be rent-a-cops), and they also tend to be filled with people who committed federal offenses, which are usually not violent.

Comment

You've spent a lot of time thinking about that.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Gotta have my bases covered; in case I've gotta murder someone, better make sure it's on an army base or something.

Comment

Right. That's not going to be flagged.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                    Federal prisons usually have less asspounding than state prisons iirc. For one, they are better funded, so the guards are somewhat more competent (bear in mind that prison guards are the people who aren't smart enough to be rent-a-cops), and they also tend to be filled with people who committed federal offenses, which are usually not violent.
                    "Federal PMITA prison" is from the movie Office Space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPcql4FuCK0
                    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

The kids didn't die people. Get a grip.

Lots of people enable the systematic rape of children and never even get arrested.

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                      X