• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Police Arrest Man for Not Smiling

Parkinson's man arrested at cycing 'for not smiling'
    By Guy Martin
    August 09, 2012

A PARKINSON'S sufferer who was arrested during the Olympic cycle races in Surrey has questioned why he was dragged to the ground for "not smiling".

Mark Worsfold, 54, was sat on a wall in Leatherhead as the riders approached at around 3pm on Saturday, July 28 - but officers decided his manner was a cause for concern, and he was hauled off to Reigate police station.

The martial arts instructor is now seeking a letter of exoneration from Surrey Police. The force has defended the officers' actions, explaining that they were worried about a "possible breach of the peace" and found knives on Mr Worsfold - although these turned out to be plastic and had been used for a martial arts demonstration at Red House Gardens earlier the same day.

Mr Worsfold had been invited to display at the council-run event and had started walking back to his car afterwards, to go to his daughter's ninth birthday party.

While on Bull Hill, he said he sat on a wall with others to avoid the crowds, watch the race and rest as his condition makes standing for prolonged periods painful.

Across the road from Mr Worsfold, fathers' rights campaigners were protesting against the family justice system.

I'm a volunteer and fundraiser for charities. Not, I'd say, a criminal mastermind
    Mark Worsfold

He recalled: "One came to sit next to me. She was constantly on the phone and was being carefully monitored by the police.

"You can imagine my surprise when just as the racers were about to appear over the brow of the hill I had two policemen force me to the ground and read me my rights. Face down, I was restrained and handcuffed.

"I was arrested on 'suspicion of being about to cause a public order offence' or something like that."

On being told that the way he had been acting was part of the reason for his arrest, Mr Worsfold tried to explain that he suffered from Parkinson's disease.

"After several hours' confinement I was released without charge, caution or even interview," he said.

'Given advice'

Although he has been concerned about the damage to his business and distress caused to his family by the incident, Mr Worsfold admitted he could now see the funny side.

"It's ironic that I'm a national referee and registered instructor in Taekwondo and have in a small way helped select and train our current Olympic hopefuls," he said. "I have a number of police officers as students in my martial arts clubs.

"I have many years' experience in the military, security and surveillance industry, as a law enforcement officer for Surrey, and am currently a Surrey Police Community Speedwatch co-ordinator.

"I'm a trustee and auditor for respected organisations and a school governor, and a volunteer and fundraiser for charities. Not, I'd say, a criminal mastermind."

Based on his manner, his dress and proximity to the course, officers made an arrest to prevent a possible breach of the peace
    Surrey Police spokesman

Police have been widely praised for the friendly and good-spirited way they dealt with Olympic events in Surrey. Outriders were cheered when high-fiving spectators and waving.

A spokesman for Surrey Police said Mr Worsfold's behaviour had "caused concern as the cyclists approached".

He added: "The man was positioned close to protesters and based on his manner, his dress and proximity to the course, officers made an arrest to prevent a possible breach of the peace.

"The man was in possession of a number of knives. It was established the knives were made from rubber and intended for use as display items, and the blade of a folding knife was within legal limits.

"Factors which led officers to make this arrest include the fact that the race was rapidly approaching, the heightened level of security due to the high profile nature of the event and the sheer number of spectators.

"These were fully explained to the individual. He was given advice and released with no further action."

The spokesman also said Mr Worsfold had already written a letter stating that he fully understood the officers' actions and accepted their apologies and explanations.

Chief Superintendent Gavin Stephens said: "Officers were policing huge numbers of people during the Olympic events and in the interests of public safety they acted quickly and decisively based on the information available to them.”

There was one only other arrest in Surrey during the Olympic cycle races.

"Based on his manner, his dress and proximity to the course, officers made an arrest to prevent a possible breach of the peace"
    Surrey Police spokesman

LOL

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
    There was one only other arrest in Surrey during the Olympic cycle races.
    Apparently this second suspect has also been released and allowed to return to kindergarten.

/me
    "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Is it true that, after the incident, british authorities put signs near all olympic events, telling the spectators to either smile or risk arrest?
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
        Is it true that, after the incident, british authorities put signs near all olympic events, telling the spectators to either smile or risk arrest?
        That would be cruel...

...to the viewers.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

lol

Comment

I'm pleased no British police have seen me at sporting events.
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ricky-gervais-bad-teeth.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	9093638

If you are wealthy enough in the UK, your teeth might look this good.
              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

my teeth are about the same
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                  There's been an influx of Teutonic knights, late for a Pole dance.
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

They just don't want anyone else emulating the Queen.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

You are likely to get arrested for smiling here. Someone who's smiling when the police are present is either under influence or openly defiant of their authority.
                      Graffiti in a public toilet
                      Do not require skill or wit
                      Among the **** we all are poets
                      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

thank god communism ended...

Comment

You think that police officer was wishing he had a gun when the cyclist didn't smile at him?
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

This is why, may hap?
                            "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
                              There's been an influx of Teutonic knights, late for a Pole dance.
                              Groan inducing but clever.
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                              X