Home Automation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Automation

So it looks like my girlfriend and I are about to buy a house. If all goes according to plan, we move in September 6. Now, it's really her that's buying the house, and I'm basically going to be her tenant, and I'm dirt poor and spending all the money I do have on school, but that doesn't mean I can't dream.

I want a home of the future. I want my house to unlock the doors and turn on the lights when I approach, I want security cameras to send me videos when someone breaks in, and I want to be able to adjust the temperature from my phone. And more. Oh yes, more.

I've looked into this a bit, and I'm pretty aware of all the basics. There are the insteon, z-wave, and X10 protocols. Schlage has a set of home automation devices, as well as some company called Mi Casa Verde, and Belkin has WeMo which can apparently only be remotely accessed through iOS, and Lowe's just came out with the Iris system. Yada yada.

Is there anyone here who actually does home automation? Anything you'd recommend? Stay away from? I don't want expensive, and I don't want much in the way of DIY. And I'd prefer not to have a monthly subscription service.

Apolyton, go!
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Every sci-fi story about home automation inevitably leads to the house imprisoning and/or murdering its inhabitants.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Not true. I read one where the inhabitants were already dead and the home automation struggled on.
      Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
        Every sci-fi story about home automation inevitably leads to the house imprisoning and/or murdering its inhabitants.
        I'm okay with that, because it'd be a pretty awesome way to go.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I once thought, briefly, of writing a story where all the appliances in a man's kitchen were given AI to perform more efficiently and then became crippled with existential angst from their meaningless existence and stuff. Decided against it in the end, though.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

No matter how awesome the automatic acid wash cycle on a toilet sounds, keep your ass as far away from such options as you can ...

Comment

Oh wait, nevermind. Girlfriend says futuristic home automation stuff doesn't go with 44-year-old-Colonial aesthetic.

Comment

Clearly she needs to think about future resale value.
                Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

That is totally an argument that could work on her.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                    Oh wait, nevermind. Girlfriend says futuristic home automation stuff doesn't go with 44-year-old-Colonial aesthetic.
                    See if you can sell her on steampunk
                    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                      See if you can sell her on steampunk...
                      and a really good dehumidifier.
                      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Working...
                      X