Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American veterans who cut through the bull****.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the people of Palestine, who apparently weren't a British colony, decide for themselves to let the Jews carve a country out of their territory? That was very generous of them.

Comment

That was part of the mandate. It was stated in the preamble.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I wonder if you think Austria was a German colony because the Germans controlled them from 1938-1945? Czechoslovakia?

But those were actual annexations. Britain and France never annexed Palestine/Syria/Egypt.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          That was part of the mandate. It was stated in the preamble.
          It sure sounds like foreign domination. If the word "colonization" is what you take issue, fine, I can call it something else like "imperialism". The point is that the Arabs got pwned.

Comment

I wonder if you think Austria was a German colony because the Germans controlled them from 1938-1945? Czechoslovakia?

But those were actual annexations. Britain and France never annexed Palestine/Syria/Egypt.
            I certainly think the Third Reich was imperialistic.

Comment

Austria was a German colony for 7 years then. Austria is a victim of European colonialism.

Weird that the Arabs got pwned when Britain/France never fought them but in fact fought WITH them in WW1.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar View Post
                We went to war because it was popular. Afterwards, it became unpopular because it didn't go as well as people hoped. They rationally updated their beliefs about the war once they saw the results.
                Sure, and they didn't cheerleader it.
                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Colonization is settling your nationals overseas. Imperialism is annexing a country to extract its resources for the economic benefit of the home country. In the cases of the Middle Eastern Commonwealth of Nations mandates, neither happened, just as in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                    Colonization is settling your nationals overseas. Imperialism is annexing a country to extract its resources for the economic benefit of the home country. In the cases of the Middle Eastern Commonwealth of Nations mandates, neither happened, just as in Iraq and Afghanistan.
                    Indeed.

Comment

So settling people in, say, Palestine would have been colonization?

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                        So settling people in, say, Palestine would have been colonization?
                        Settling British nationals in an area annexed by Britain... that would be colonization.

Letting Jews from around the world settle in Palestine is just immigration.

Comment

If they had been British people, then sure. If you're implying Jewish settlement of Israel was colonization, bear in mind that the British did their very best to prevent as much legal immigration as they could of Jews from anywhere.

For the record, I don't think colonialism was bad.

Comment

Settling British nationals in an area annexed by Britain... that would be colonization.

Letting Jews from around the world settle in Palestine is just immigration.
                            Yes... they "just immigrated" and eventually declared independence and seized most of the land without the consent of the local inhabitants. Definitely not colonization!

Well that settles it I guess, the Palestinians were never wronged and should shut up.

Comment

The fact that the Arabs didn't get most of the land is their own fault for not accepting the UN partition plan.

Comment

The fact that the Arabs didn't get most of the land is their own fault for not accepting the UN partition plan.
                                That's moot because the Israelis would have gone conquering anyway. They were set in their ways.

Comment

Working...
                                X