Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian confectionary conspiracy!

2 Seattle men stopped at border for illegal candy

SEATTLE — Two Seattle men say they spent more than two hours in a detention center at the Canadian border after U.S. border agents discovered illegal chocolate eggs in their car.

Brandon Loo and Christopher Sweeney told KOMO-TV ( http://is.gd/usuy85) they decided to bring home some treats for friends and family during a recent trip to Vancouver, British Columbia. They bought Kinder Eggs — chocolate eggs with a toy inside.

The two men say border guards searched their car and said the eggs are illegal in the United States because young children could choke on the small plastic toys. Importing them can lead to a potentially hefty fine.

Sweeney says the bust was a waste of his time and the agents' time. The men eventually got off with a warning.

A U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesman declined to comment about the case Tuesday night.

The agency warned on its website around Easter that the treats can't be imported legally.

The agency says it seized more than 60,000 Kinder Eggs from travelers' baggage and international mail shipments in fiscal 2011.
    The Xfinity Discovery Hub is your resource for Xfinity product news, technology education, and more. Learn about TV, internet, home security, and more.

I used to bring Kinder eggs home for my daughter from all my business trips to Europe. Little did I know it was a plot to suffocate her; guess we're lucky she survived...

Update: The US import ban has been in effect since the product's inception in the 70s, based on the 1938 Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. Little did I know that I was a smuggler...
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Didn't Asher post about this a long time ago? It's still a problem?
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Yes and yes.

Land of the free
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yet similar Nestle sweets can be freely imported and sold.
        Graffiti in a public toilet
        Do not require skill or wit
        Among the **** we all are poets
        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

They are not Kinder eggs.
          The injustic continues.

And now I'm a fugitive from justice. Fortunately, we ate the evidence years ago.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

You're not supposed to eat the toys
            Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by ColdWizard View Post
              You're not supposed to eat the toys
              And that is why diligent boarder guards must keep Kinder Eggs out of America - obese US kids will eat the toy!!!
              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Clearly we should invade and priority should be given to occupying the oil fields because that would be the best way to stop this chocolate menace.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Given that the toy is trapped inside a large well sealed plastic capsule that most kids would struggle to even fit in their mouths, wouldn't you have to be really, really stupid to manage to eat the toy?

Comment

The ones who survive become... survivalists and vote for tea party candidates. Kinder Surprise Eggs cause libertarianism... they must be banned!
                    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                      Given that the toy is trapped inside a large well sealed plastic capsule that most kids would struggle to even fit in their mouths, wouldn't you have to be really, really stupid to manage to eat the toy?
                      These are American kids.......

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Running a kinder egg operation in the US, is very profitable

Due to the ban on kinder eggs the profits are up to 300%, even over retail EU prices

Who would not love US laws?
                        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

End the War on Kinder Eggs!
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

The only way to truly end a war is to exterminate the other side. No peace treaty is ever going to stop all the **** going down in a war. The only final complete peace is the peace of the grave.
                            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Working...
                            X