Mitt caught in a direct lie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
    Well since they ALL lie you are doing the same thing they do. Maybe you deserve the politicians you get.
    I literally have no idea what you just said.

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
    No, not on principle. But when you've got only two choices, and both of them lie about things, it makes sense to go with the one who lies about less important things (e.g., this crap) rather than the things Obama has lied about (jobs, gitmo, taxes).
    Ok I'm curious, how did Obama lie about Gitmo?

I mean, maybe? They show he had titles. He acknowledges having the titles but denies having responsibility for Bain during that period, and Bain backs him up on that...
    Titles, a salary, complete ownership of the company, yet no responsibility for anything they might have done?

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
      If he is responsible, should that be held against him? I don't think so.
      Ok, now I'm really confused. If he's responsible for things that the American public find unpleasant such as outsourcing US jobs to China, that shouldn't be held against him?

Comment

As we just had a black president, I think it's time for change - looking forward to a Mormon president... next one can be a woman, and following that a gay man, after that one a real muslim and then a scientologist
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
          I literally have no idea what you just said.

Titles, a salary, complete ownership of the company, yet no responsibility for anything they might have done?

And having a salary does not mean you run things...
          Last edited by Wiglaf; July 13, 2012, 08:45. Reason: ...especially when you are a big name, running the olympics, etc

Comment

I thought there was some speculation that he may have lied to the SEC, which very well might be a felony.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

There's speculation he may have done something that may be a crime? Sounds...speculative.

Comment

One of Obama's campaign promises was to close Gitmo.

Ok, now I'm really confused. If he's responsible for things that the American public find unpleasant such as outsourcing US jobs to China, that shouldn't be held against him?
                It's clearly important to some people, but not to me. Also, the claim that he's directly responsible for outsourcing US jobs to China is a bit of a stretch.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Just to be clear on that point, the "American public" does not view outsourcing US jobs to be unpleasant. Poor retarded unskilled Americans hold this view, and Republicans never got their votes anyway.

Comment

Just to be clear on that point, the "American public" does not view outsourcing US jobs to be unpleasant. Poor retarded unskilled Americans hold this view, and Republicans never got their votes anyway.
                    Oh, and Congress.

Uniforms for U.S. Olympic athletes are American red, white and blue — but made in China. That has members of Congress fuming.

Republicans and Democrats railed Thursday about the U.S. Olympic Committee's decision to dress the U.S. team in Chinese manufactured berets, blazers and pants while the American textile industry struggles economically with many U.S. workers desperate for jobs.

"I am so upset. I think the Olympic committee should be ashamed of themselves. I think they should be embarrassed. I think they should take all the uniforms, put them in a big pile and burn them and start all over again," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., told reporters at a Capitol Hill news conference on taxes.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

This is a ridiculous controversy. Obama's accusing Mitt Romney of doing a very good thing that he didn't actually do. What's next? Did he also hand out soup to the homeless?

Comment

As I understand it, there's really less to this than there appears. If you look at his actions from 1999 to 2002, it's apparently pretty clear that while he may have technically held some leadership role, he wasn't actively engaged in running Bain Capital anymore. Is there a discrepancy between his SEC filings and what he's said? Maybe. Does that make him responsible for the actions of Bain Capital? Not necessarily. If he is responsible, should that be held against him? I don't think so.

Btw, I have no intention of voting for Romney, so don't try to color me as some partisan with blinders on.
                        This. It is not rare for someone listed as a President/CEO of a company who has no real active role in running anymore and just signs off on things. For smaller companies this can be the case when the original owner transfers day to day operations of the company to their son or daughter and is listed as President and/or CEO, but their son or daughter actually does everything.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

One of Obama's campaign promises was to close Gitmo.
                          Which, correct me if I'm wrong, he tried to do but was prevented by congress.

It's clearly important to some people, but not to me. Also, the claim that he's directly responsible for outsourcing US jobs to China is a bit of a stretch.
                          If he was responsible for the decision to outsource jobs from Bain controlled firms to China, then how is that a stretch? Someone at Bain made that decision, and his claim has been that by that time he had given up this decision making position in the firms. This evidence seems to directly contradict that.

At this point it's not even about whether he outsourced jobs, it's about whether he lied about having not outsourced jobs. It's the same as pretty much every big political scandal, it's the coverup that will kill you, not the initial act.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                            This. It is not rare for someone listed as a President/CEO of a company who has no real active role in running anymore and just signs off on things. For smaller companies this can be the case when the original owner transfers day to day operations of the company to their son or daughter and is listed as President and/or CEO, but their son or daughter actually does everything.
                            If I'm understanding it correctly, he said that he gave up all power in the company in 1999. It seems that instead he still retained 100% of the shareholding, was chairman of the company and attended board meetings of various Bain owned companies, and was receiving a large salary. Do those two things really go together?

Comment

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...p_ref=politics

Ok, I realize it's probably too much to ask to expect a non-partisan discussion in the middle of election season, but is there any way to read this where Romney didn't actually lie?
                              Why would he lie about this? I don't see the point.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                                Why would he lie about this? I don't see the point.
                                Of him lying, or Ken bringing this up? Both?
                                1011 1100
                                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                                X